U-M shutout Spartans in opening game of season series

<p>Junior defenseman Zach Osburn (2) looks at the crowd before the game on Dec 7, 2017 at Yost Ice Arena. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines 4-0.&nbsp;</p>

Junior defenseman Zach Osburn (2) looks at the crowd before the game on Dec 7, 2017 at Yost Ice Arena. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines 4-0. 

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

The season series between the Spartans and U-M kicked-off Thursday night, with the Spartans falling 4-0 in the first of this home-and-home series.

The Spartans would start the first period off strong with sophomore forward Logan Lambdin taking three out of the seven shots in the first, but it would be the Wolverines who did the scoring. Sophomore goalie John Lethemon faced a total of 29 shots throughout the night.

“I thought we were okay for about five minutes and then after that I really didn’t like much of the game," head coach Danton Cole said. "I think Michigan out played us most here especially with skating.”

U-M’s senior forward Tony Calderone would score three of the Wolverines four goals causing a struggle for the Spartan defense. 

The Spartans would get a total of five power plays, but failed to get any pucks past sophomore goaltender Hayden Lavigne who faced 18 shots. 

“You never wanna lose 4-0 to Michigan especially on the road where we had some success in the past," senior defenseman Carson Gatt said. "This one stings.” 

Before the game, the Spartan penalty kill had only allowed two power play goals in the last seven games killing 14 out of the 16 shifts. Shortly after sophomore forward Patrick Khodorenko went into the box, U-M scored a power play goal in the second period.

This match was the 315th game played between the rival teams which is six more than Denver vs. Colorado College in the closest rivalry games played.

“This series is personal," Gatt said. "I think everyone kinda realize that.”

The Spartans and Wolverine take the rivalry back to Munn Ice Arena for a 7:05 p.m puck drop on Friday. 

Share and discuss “U-M shutout Spartans in opening game of season series” on social media.