Spartan Roundup: Men's soccer finishes with an impressive season and earns a first round bye

Red shirt junior goalkeeper Jimmy Hague (1) helps junior midfielder Robbie Cort (13) to his feet during the game against Indiana on Oct. 29, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans and the Hoosiers tied 1-1 in double overtime.
Red shirt junior goalkeeper Jimmy Hague (1) helps junior midfielder Robbie Cort (13) to his feet during the game against Indiana on Oct. 29, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans and the Hoosiers tied 1-1 in double overtime. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

After MSU’s loss to Ohio State that dropped them to No. 17 in the college football playoff rankings, here is your weekly Spartan Roundup from all the other sports you might have missed over the weekend.

Men’s Soccer earns seventh seed in the NCAA Tournament

The men’s soccer team will earn a first round bye for the first time since 2014, where they advanced to the elite eight.  The Spartans finished with an impressive 11-3-3 record after a 2-1 defeat against Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship. 

Jimmy Hague became the first ever Spartan to win Big Ten Goalkeeper of the year after only allowing 11 goals with 10 clean sheets throughout the entire season. The Spartan’s success can also be credited to defender Jimmy Fiscus and midfielder Ken Krolicki, who were also named All-Big Ten honorees. 

The Spartans will begin their tournament run when they host the winner of the Virginia Tech and Air Force game at DeMartin Stadium on Sunday, Nov. 19 at 1 p.m. 

Women’s Volleyball improves to 19-6 as they head to Ann Arbor to face rival Michigan

Cathy George became MSU’s all time winning women’s volleyball coach this past Saturday after earning her 251st win.  

The team will look to extend its three game winning streak when they head to Ann Arbor to face rival Michigan on Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. They will return home on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 8 p.m. when they play Indiana and host the program’s senior night, where seven seniors will be honored after the game. 

Men’s golf team lands top recruit

This past Saturday, Troy Taylor II from Westerville, Ohio signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Spartans in the fall of 2018. Taylor was awarded the 2017 Central Ohio High School Boys Golfer of the Year as a junior and is excited to continue his hard work when he arrives at MSU.

Women’s cross country team earns automatic bids to NCAA Championships

Last Friday, the Spartans were able to upset No. 2 Wisconsin after finishing second with 87 points at the LaVern Gibson Championship Cross Country in Terre Haute, Indiana. The Spartans were lead by All-Region honors Jeralyn Poe and Maggie Farrell, who both finished with an impressive time of 20:49.0 and 20:50.6. 

The team heads to Louisville, Kentucky this Saturday, Nov. 18 starting at 10:45 a.m.

Men’s cross country team wins first ever Regional Championship and Coach Drenth named Regional Men’s Coach of the year

Led by Morgan Beadlescomb, Clark Ruiz, Max Benoit and Brayden Law, the Spartans were able to capture the program’s first Great Lakes Regional Championship finishing with a team best 68 points. Coach Walt Drenth was awarded the Great Lakes Men’s Coach of the Year by the Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

The Spartans earned an automatic bid to the NCAA championships to Louisville, Kentucky this Saturday, Nov. 18 when there race starts at 11:45 a.m.

Men’s Wrestling captures eight medals 

This past Saturday, the Spartans were awarded eight medals at the Eastern Michigan Open. Rayvon Foley lead the way after going undefeated through four matches and defeating Drew West of Northern Illinois, while capturing his first ever tournament.

The team’s next tournament will be this Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m. against No. 17 Central Michigan at Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Men's soccer finishes with an impressive season and earns a first round bye” on social media.