Lansing Jaycees to host annual Stuff the Bus event

As the holiday season begins to get into full swing, one organization local to the Lansing area is stepping up to provide for community members in need.

The Lansing Jaycees, a philanthropic organization local to the area, will host a project intended to benefit members of the community this weekend.

“For men and women between the ages of 21 and 40, the Lansing Jaycees offer leadership training through community development,” the mission statement of the Lansing Jaycees reads. “By organizing a variety of programs and projects for the benefit of Lansing, our members learn leadership and management skills.”

The Stuff the Bus project, intended to make an impact around the upcoming holiday season, will take place on Saturday, Dec. 2. According to a press release, the Lansing Jaycees plan to fill a Capital Area Transportation Authority bus, or CATA bus, with toys, clothes and other items for families in the Lansing area. The event aims to gather the aforementioned supplies for distribution before the onset of the winter holiday season.

The Lansing Jaycees will partner with a local charity for the event. This year, supplies donated by people will go to members of Haven House, a shelter for housing in the East Lansing area that caters to children and parents in need. 

“Haven House provides emergency housing and support services for one-parent and two-parent families with children,” according to a statement found on the Haven House webpage. “The shelter helps families who are homeless prepare for permanent housing by developing and promoting self-sufficiency, stability, and financial responsibility.”

Nicole Perry, a co-chair on the project, talked about how event looks to benefit needy members of the Lansing community.

“Stuff the Bus is a wonderful program we are able to put on each year,” Perry said, referring to the Lansing Jaycees and how they host “Stuff the Bus” annually. “This year we chose to partner with Haven House and we are excited to be able to expand our impact to more of the local families in our community,” she said.

Colleen Burton, the 89th president of the Lansing Jaycees, expressed her enthusiasm for the event and about partnering with Haven House for this year.

“I’m excited to see how partnering with a new charity, Haven House, will impact the project and help with different needs in our community,” she said. 

Burton noted that the event would be held at the Wal-Mart store in the Eastwood Towne Center of Lansing. She commented on the idea that the particular retailer’s wide variety of clothing, grocery and home products would make purchases “Stuff the Bus” simpler for interested donors.

“We have worked with the Eastwood Towne Center Wal-Mart for many years and the variety of products in such a store makes it an ideal place to hold the event,” Burton said.

“Stuff the Bus” will begin at 9 a.m. and last until 6 p.m. at the Wal-Mart in Eastwood Towne Center.

Share and discuss “Lansing Jaycees to host annual Stuff the Bus event ” on social media.