FINAL: Men's basketball beats Stony Brook 93-71

Sophomore forward and guard Miles Bridges (22), left, and Head Coach Tom Izzo talk during the first half of the game against Hillsdale on Nov. 3, 2017 at the Breslin Center.The Spartans defeated the Chargers, 75-44.
Sophomore forward and guard Miles Bridges (22), left, and Head Coach Tom Izzo talk during the first half of the game against Hillsdale on Nov. 3, 2017 at the Breslin Center.The Spartans defeated the Chargers, 75-44. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

MSU beat Stony Brook 93-71 in the Spartans first game since they lost to No. 1 Duke on Tuesday.

Miles Bridges was taken out of the game following an injury to his ankle after he appeared to step on someone's foot during a drive to the rim during the second half, he would not return.

In the first half, Stony Brook’s 3-point shooting made it hard for the Spartans to pull away.

The Seawolves led for most of the first half mainly in part to their effective shooting from behind the arc, but two free throws by Bridges with 4:46 left in the first half gave MSU a 32-30 lead and one they wouldn’t give up.

MSU made 33 of 57 field goals, while the Seawolves were 29-for-51 from the field. 

Nick Ward was 8-for-10 from the field and had a game-high 22 points along with 11 rebounds, and Bridges, despite exiting the game early, finished with 20 points. 

REBOUNDING: After a poor performance on the glass last week against Duke, the Spartans controlled the boards Sunday, outrebounding the Seawolves 41-25. 

Rebounding was a struggle early on, but the Spartans gained momentum and headed into the locker room after the first half with 21 rebounds. Nick Ward secured seven rebounds in the first half, while the Seawolves recorded a total of 19. 

In the win, the Spartans grabbed 20 defensive rebounds and 11 offensive boards.

FOUL TROUBLE: Early fouling by Jaren Jackson Jr. forced the freshman to have a dismal showing Sunday.

Less than a week removed from scoring 19 points against Duke, Jackson was held to 0 points and four rebounds after fouling out with 7:52 left in the game. 

UP NEXT: The Spartans will go on the road to face DePaul in a Thanksgiving matchup in Oregon. 

Share and discuss “FINAL: Men's basketball beats Stony Brook 93-71” on social media.