Men's soccer seeded No. 7 in NCAA Tournament, gets first round bye

Junior forward DeJuan Jones (6) dribbles the ball 
up the field during the game against the University of Michigan on Sept. 17, 2017 at U-M Soccer Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 1-0.
Junior forward DeJuan Jones (6) dribbles the ball up the field during the game against the University of Michigan on Sept. 17, 2017 at U-M Soccer Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 1-0. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

The NCAA announced on its men's soccer tournament selection show Monday afternoon that the Spartans will be seeded No. 7 with a first round bye, with a little pep talk from Tom Izzo.

MSU will face the winner of Virginia Tech vs. Air Force this Sunday at DeMartin Stadium, with the start time yet to be determined. The Virginia Tech-Air Force game will be played this Thursday at a time that is yet to be determined.

Four other Big Ten teams also made the tournament: the 15-0-5 Indiana Hoosiers, 12-5-2 Michigan Wolverines, 10-5-3 Maryland Terrapins and the Big Ten Tournament champion 10-4-5 Wisconsin Badgers.

The Spartans are coming off a 2-1 upset loss against Ohio State in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals. 

However, MSU still had a 11-3-3 season in which they held 10 of their opponents to shutouts led by a stout defense including defenseman Jimmy Fiscus and goalkeeper Jimmy Hague, who won Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year, the first Spartan to ever win the award.

Stay with The State News for updates on the announced time for Sunday's match.

Share and discuss “Men's soccer seeded No. 7 in NCAA Tournament, gets first round bye” on social media.