FINAL: Men's soccer shocked by Ohio State in Big Ten tournament, 2-1

Junior defender John Freitag (12) goes after the ball during the game against Ohio State, on Nov. 5, at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Buckeyes, 2-1, and were eliminated from the Big Ten tourney.
Junior defender John Freitag (12) goes after the ball during the game against Ohio State, on Nov. 5, at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Buckeyes, 2-1, and were eliminated from the Big Ten tourney. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The No. 8 men’s soccer team was shocked in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten tournament on Sunday afternoon, losing 2-1 to the Ohio State Buckeyes.

The Buckeyes win snaps their eight-game losing streak, which started on Oct. 1 with a 5-1 loss against MSU.

Ohio State scored both of its goals in the first half, with forward Michael Prosuk scoring just under eight minutes into the game and after the hour long weather delay, with midfielder and leading Buckeye scorer Abdi Mohamed scoring the second goal late in the first half.

The Spartans would try to make a comeback with defenseman John Freitag hitting the back of the net in the 49th minute, cutting the Buckeyes lead to 2-1. But OSU would hold on after Freitag’s goal, and punch their ticket to the semifinal this Friday against the winner of Indiana vs. Penn State.

“You can’t be down two goals in college soccer and think you’re just going to come back,” head coach Damon Rensing said. “We gave them some plays. They got goals off our mistakes and if you do that, you dig yourself a hole, it’s gonna be tough to come back from.”

MSU will now await its fate for the NCAA tournament, which the selection show will take place on Nov. 13 at 1 p.m. on NCAA.com.

“Honestly, this time of year you just have to get back to some basics and doing what’s got us to winning these games,” Rensing said. “We’ll get back to finding what helped us win, and be good from there.”

Share and discuss “FINAL: Men's soccer shocked by Ohio State in Big Ten tournament, 2-1” on social media.