Lansing Party Bus vehicles seized for operating unlicensed, uninsured

A jug used for hayrides is painted during a State News how-to video.
A jug used for hayrides is painted during a State News how-to video. —

Hayride season is in full swing, but transportation to the cider mills just became more difficult. 

All of Lansing Party Bus’s vehicles were towed and impounded by Clinton County Sheriff’s Office, Saturday, Oct. 14.

“It’s our position that they have no legal vehicles registered to them,” Clinton County Sheriff Lt. Jeff Clarke said. “They haven’t been inspected and they have no insurance on them."

Students who work at MSU Greenline attended a hayride at Andy T’s Farm Saturday, with transportation from Lansing Party Bus, organizer Chelsea Hayse said.

“While we were there, that’s when the Clinton County sheriffs showed up and impounded our busses,” Hayse said.“It was this whole fiasco. We had to find a new way home for 52 people.”

They ended up taking cabs and Ubers back to East Lansing, Hayse said.

“It was 12:30 in the morning, it’s pouring rain, I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to get 52 people home and they’re all concerned about getting their money back—which I totally understand—but it is not the type of situation I anticipated going into the night,” Hayse said.

Hayse said she is unsure when they will be able to get their money back, because they were unable to contact Lansing Party Bus Monday morning. They paid the organization in cash, which further complicates matters, and they will probably have to go to court to get their money.

“The day of, they told us that they could no longer cash my check,” Hayse said. “It had to be from the organization, it couldn’t be a personal check, so they needed the money in cash. So then we ended up paying them in cash the day of. We were mostly in communication via email and text message.”

Hayse said she has been subpoenaed by the sheriff’s office. 

“They said that when they go further into the court proceedings, that’s when they’ll probably have me come in and verbally speak on our behalf in order to get our money back," she said.

The sheriff's office is still investigating, Clarke said.

“The business is being cited on that, not the drivers," Clarke said. "Everything is still under investigation and we’ll submit a report to the prosecutor's office and they’ll determine what, if any, charges will happen to the business.”

The phone number listed on Lansing Party Bus’s website was answered by a person who said his company only manages the advertising and does not schedule the buses. He declined give his name and the name of the company he works for.

Share and discuss “Lansing Party Bus vehicles seized for operating unlicensed, uninsured ” on social media.