FINAL: MSU women's soccer beats U-M, 2-1

The MSU women’s soccer team hosted the Michigan Wolverines on Sunday afternoon after having to postponed yesterday, and came away with 2-1 giving MSU its second Big Ten win of the season.

Head coach Tom Saxton said a win against Michigan this late in the season sets the Spartans up for “a good stretch run.”

“We’ve gone through a lot of difficult lessons through the first half of the Big Ten season,” Saxton said. “I told the team after the disappointment at Penn State, ‘these remaining games are all winnable’ and it started with this one.”

After Michigan forward Reilly Martin scored the first goal of the game during the first six minutes of the game, MSU forward Lexy Warner answered back three minutes later with her fifth goal of the season, which makes her the second in goals on the squad.

Forward Kristelle Yewah than gave the Spartans the lead in the second half, netting a header with 31:26 left in the second half. Yewah now has three goals on the season, which is third on the team.

Even with the Spartans outscoring the Wolverines, the Maize and Blue outshot the Spartans drastically, 32-10, and shots on goal, 12-5. 

The now 6-10-0 Spartans will next face the 7-7-2 Maryland Terrapins this Saturday at 7 p.m. in College Park. MSU will then conclude its regular season against the Northwestern Wildcats on Oct. 25 at DeMartin Stadium.

“We’ve got a nice trip to Maryland and a senior day against Northwestern, those are winnable games,” Saxton said. “So let’s finish with a nice streak.”

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU women's soccer beats U-M, 2-1” on social media.