East Lansing Jimmy John's robbed at gunpoint, suspect remains at-large

<p>The Jimmy John's location on Grand River Avenue and Collingwood Drive is pictured on October 23, 2017.</p>

The Jimmy John's location on Grand River Avenue and Collingwood Drive is pictured on October 23, 2017.

Photo by Riley Murdock | The State News

East Lansing Police detectives opened an investigation Monday after the Jimmy Johns on Grand River Avenue and Collingwood Drive was robbed at gunpoint earlier that morning, officials said.

Deputy Chief Steve Gonzalez told The State News the incident occurred just before 6 a.m. The subject, described as a “heavier-set” male wearing a mask, orange gloves and a dark-colored hoodie and left the scene in an unknown direction.

Gonzalez said the suspect was able to leave the scene of the crime before police could arrive. Nobody was injured in the incident.

“He came into the store and brandished a silver handgun and was able to make his way out of the store with an undisclosed amount of money from the safe,” Gonzalez said.

According to Gonzalez, once police arrived at the scene, they attempted to track the suspect with a K-9 unit, but we unsuccessful in finding him. 

The case has since been handed to ELPD’s Detective Bureau, where the investigation remains ongoing. Anybody with knowledge of the situation is encouraged to contact police.

“There are some leads in the case,” Gonzalez said. “So hopefully they can nail down the suspect, or perhaps get a better suspect description.”

When contacted, a manager from Jimmy John’s declined to comment.

Stay with The State News for updates.

Share and discuss “East Lansing Jimmy John's robbed at gunpoint, suspect remains at-large” on social media.