MSU football notebook: Depth chart remains unchanged, AP poll and more

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio shows emotion during the game against Bowling Green on Sep. 2, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-10.</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio shows emotion during the game against Bowling Green on Sep. 2, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-10.

So far, so good. After a 35-10 blowout win over Bowling Green, the Spartans' depth chart was largely unchanged.

Just about all the players remained at their same spot in the two-deep.

Head coach Mark Dantonio talked at his weekly press conference about a myriad of issues as his team heads into the game against Western Michigan. Here are some key takeaways.

Dantonio renews confidence in defensive backs

Following the Bowling Green game Saturday, Dantonio said he thought his defensive backs played well immediately after the game.

After watching the films and making some determinations, Dantonio backed his former statement, saying he thought his backs played well.

"Yeah, I am (encouraged by the defensive backs), because a lot of times we ran back into phase, back into position to make the play on the ball," Dantonio said. "We played the ball, you know, looking through the man and played the ball and knocked it out."

Looking ahead to Western Michigan

It's been two years now since the Spartans last saw the Broncos. And a lot has gone on in between. Namely, MSU went through its 3-9 season while Western Michigan would go on to complete its best season ever.

The Broncos turned heads last weekend in a thriller against the then-No. 4 ranked Southern California. Before the Trojans pulled away for the 49-31 win, the game was knotted at 28 apiece in the fourth quarter.

Dantonio spent much of his presser fielding questions about Western Michigan, and namely, what he learned from the game two years ago.

"Go a little farther back, to 2015 and our football game with them, just like every football game was not just a walk in there, and, 'hey, let's go,'" Dantonio said. "It was extremely competitive."

The Spartans are currently a 7.5-point favorite, according to VegasInsider.

Spartans receive one vote in the AP poll

Just like the preseason AP Top 25 poll, the Spartans received exactly one point and one vote.

Four other Big Ten schools, Ohio State at No. 2, Penn State at No. 4, in-state rival Michigan at No. 8 and Wisconsin at No. 9 were all within the top-10. Other schools, like MSU, earned votes but did not crack the top 25 in points.

"Go Green, Wear White"

For the first time ever, the Spartans will wear an all-white uniform and helmet combo at home against Western Michigan.

The promotion includes asking the fans to wear white apparel as part of their game day attire.

The Spartans kickoff against the Western Michigan Broncos at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. The game will be televised by Big Ten Network.

Share and discuss “MSU football notebook: Depth chart remains unchanged, AP poll and more” on social media.