FINAL: No. 4 MSU loses first game of the year against No. 24 Akron, 4-1

Sophomore midfielder Giuseppe Barone (10) rests after the game against Bowling Green State on Sep. 13, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Falcons 1-0.
Sophomore midfielder Giuseppe Barone (10) rests after the game against Bowling Green State on Sep. 13, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Falcons 1-0. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

The No. 4 Spartans lost their first game of the year, losing to No. 24 Akron, 4-1, making their record 7-1-1 on the season.

Akron's Nate Shultz scored the first two goals for the Zips, which came in the first half. Those two goals were Shultz's first of the season. Nick Hinds had the third goal for the Zips, while Joao Moutinho had the fourth.

Ryan Scott scored the lone goal for the Spartans, making it his second of the season.

Not only are the four goals the most any team has scored against the Spartans so far, it is more than the eight previous opponents combined. 

The Zips dominated in all facets of the game, outshooting the Spartans 14-to-6 and beating them in corner kicks, 7-to-1. 

This is the first occasion two-time Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week Jimmy Hague let in more than one goal in a game this season. 

The Spartans will look to get back in the winning column this Sunday at DeMartin Stadium against Big Ten opponent, No. 16 Ohio State. The battle between the Spartans and the 7-1-1 Buckeyes is set for a 3 p.m. kickoff.

Share and discuss “FINAL: No. 4 MSU loses first game of the year against No. 24 Akron, 4-1” on social media.