MSU Board of Trustees votes to increase student pay

The Board of Trustees are pictured during the Board of Trustees meeting on June 6, 2017, at the Hannah Administration Building. The board discussed tuition, budget and facility renovations.
The Board of Trustees are pictured during the Board of Trustees meeting on June 6, 2017, at the Hannah Administration Building. The board discussed tuition, budget and facility renovations. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

The MSU Board of Trustees voted and approved a four percent increase in hourly pay rate for all student employees. It became effective August 6, according to one of two memos released by the MSU Human Resources Department.

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody directed The State News to the two memos which were released one month apart.

Raising student compensation is historically typical for MSU, Cody said.

This is at least the fourth year in a row that student pay has increased.

"We obviously have a history here of making sure that our students have minimum levels that they can be compensated with," he said. 

The raise “aligns student employees with the new state minimum wage that will go into effect January 1, 2018 for all hourly employees,” according to the memo from Human Resources Compensation and Classification Manager Rebecca Hallisy. 

The State of Michigan's level 1 minimum wage is increasing to $9.25 beginning on the first of the year, but MSU student employees' pay will be held to that standard for five months before its official implement.

"Obviously, we’re always going to be looking at what’s going on at a state level as far as wage guidelines as well," Cody said. 

Students were notified on Monday evening via their MSU email account. 

Share and discuss “MSU Board of Trustees votes to increase student pay” on social media.