Draymond Green lawsuit: Jermaine Edmondson and Bianca Williams speak out

Then-junior Jermaine Edmondson with former Spartans R.J. Shelton and Shilique Calhoun celebrating on Dec. 5, 2015 after the Big Ten Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Edmondson is suing former basketball player Draymond Green stemming from a July 2016 alleged assault.
Then-junior Jermaine Edmondson with former Spartans R.J. Shelton and Shilique Calhoun celebrating on Dec. 5, 2015 after the Big Ten Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Edmondson is suing former basketball player Draymond Green stemming from a July 2016 alleged assault. —

Update 6:40 p.m.

The Golden State Warriors released a statement in response to requests for comment regarding the lawsuit.

“This threatened lawsuit relates to an incident that occurred in East Lansing, Michigan over a year ago, for which Draymond paid a noise violation fine. The Warriors will have no further comment at this time.” 

Former MSU basketball and current Golden State Warriors standout Draymond Green is being sued by former MSU football player Jermaine Edmondson and his girlfriend Bianca Williams, stemming from alleged incidents of assault in July 2016.

“I still think about what happened with Draymond everyday,” Edmondson said at a press conference Tuesday. “I still feel his hand on my jaw.” 

In a story which garnered national attention last summer, Green was arrested for allegedly assaulting Edmondson during a confrontation. 

Green pleaded not guilty to the incident to avoid jail time. The charge was reduced to a noise violation, which is a civil infraction.

Edmondson and Williams appeared alongside California Lawyer Lisa Bloom at a press conference Tuesday morning to voice their sides of the incident that occurred over a two-day span.

Edmondson detailed the incidents saying he and Green had exchanged words on July 9 after Green allegedly walked into Edmondson in an East Lansing bar. After Edmondson sought an apology, Green allegedly told him “I know n----- like you. I pay for n----- like you’s scholarships," Edmondson said.

Edmondson said two men who were following Green then choked him against the wall. After he freed himself, Williams told Edmondson one of the men turned around and choked her as well.

"When I saw Jermaine being choked, I tried to get to him and I kept screaming 'stop, that's my boyfriend,'" Williams said. "One of the men who was choking him turned around to me and said 'I don’t give a f--- who your boyfriend is,' and he choked me."

"You don't know how it feels to see your girlfriend hurt and scared, crying, especially knowing what she has been through in the past," Edmondson said. "I am not a violent person and I wasn't going to fight any of them, but all I wanted to do was make her feel safe. I felt really helpless and powerless to help her."

The following night, Edmondson and Green crossed paths again. Edmondson said he told Green that the last night didn't have to happen, and he thought it wasn't okay that Williams was choked.

"His response was to punch me in the face," Edmondson said.

Green was arrested shortly after the alleged incident.

Both Williams and Edmondson expressed emotional harm following the incident, recounting tough experiences at MSU in the following months and a myriad of online harassment.

“Even though (Green) was the one who got arrested, it was my name that got dragged through the mud,” Edmondson said. “People made fun of me online and in person.”

Edmondson said he no longer felt safe at MSU after the incident. Edmondson was granted a full release from MSU's football program last year.

"No one stood up for me, even close friends that I thought would be at my wedding one day," Edmondson said. "I have never felt so low in my life."

Bloom and Edmondson iterated the case was about holding Green accountable for his actions despite his celebrity status. 

“I want to be able to move on with my life, but I need Draymond Green to admit what happened and that Bianca and I didn’t deserve to be assaulted,” Edmondson said. 

Bloom was questioned over why it took until now to file the lawsuit, to which she responded both Edmondson and Williams needed time to muster up the courage to come forward. 

“Many people in a situation like this just hope that they’ll get over it, they’ll get past it, hope that Mr. Green will do the right thing, but he's refused to do that," Bloom said. 

Share and discuss “Draymond Green lawsuit: Jermaine Edmondson and Bianca Williams speak out” on social media.