East Lansing ranked No. 2 College Town by financial website

<p>One of MSU's landmarks, the Beaumont Tower, is pictured.</p>

One of MSU's landmarks, the Beaumont Tower, is pictured.

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

East Lansing has been ranked the second best college town by WalletHub, a financial website. The site examined 415 cities across the United States to determine which were the best for students considering furthering their education.

WalletHub used a formula to help determine which college town is the safest, has the best economic opportunities and academic record. They only counted cities and towns that have a student population above 7,500 students and focused only on the city where the college resides. Surrounding metro areas and cities did not factor into the ranking formula. Some cities were not included due to the lack of sufficient data. 

WalletHub examined the 415 cities using three key dimensions:

1. WalletFitness
  2. Social Environment
  3. Academic and Economic Opportunities

Through its methodology, WalletHub had smaller subsections in order to rank the college towns.

East Lansing, on its way to the No. 2 ranking, had varying scores through the three dimensions. The city ranked No. 79 in the WalletFitness rank, No. 22 Social Environment rank and No. 4 in Academic and Economic Opportunities.

East Lansing fell short to Oxford, Ohio, home of Miami University, which took the top slot. Other notable Michigan cities included in the rankings are Ann Arbor at No. 7, Mount Pleasant at No. 34, Kalamazoo at No. 61 and Ypsilanti at No. 134.

Share and discuss “East Lansing ranked No. 2 College Town by financial website” on social media.