Spartans defeat Indiana in first round of Big Ten Tournament

<p>Sophomore Bridgette Rainey, right, and sophomore catcher Jordan Davis walk to the dugout during the game against Broncos on March 29, 2016 at Secchia Softball Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Western Broncos, 12-2.</p>

Sophomore Bridgette Rainey, right, and sophomore catcher Jordan Davis walk to the dugout during the game against Broncos on March 29, 2016 at Secchia Softball Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Western Broncos, 12-2.

It took a four-run sixth inning for the Spartans, but MSU will live to fight another day in the Big Ten Tournament.

MSU eliminated the University of Indiana on Thursday in the first round of the conference tourney, 8-7. The Hoosiers brought a 7-4 lead into the sixth, but a four-run frame was capped off by a heroic two-run go-ahead double by junior catcher Jordan Davis.

"I'm obviously going to want to see us play better defensively, but I'm excited by how our team just kept chipping away to come back for that win," MSU head coach Jacquie Joseph said in a release by MSU Athletic Communications.

The Spartans jumped out to an early 3-0 lead after sophomore utility player Kaitlyn Eveland belted a three-run home run in the first.

Indiana struck right back with four runs in the top of the second to take the lead. The Hoosiers posted five hits in the frame — four for extra bases. Sophomore outfielder Lexi White — however — led of the bottom of the second with a home run to tie the game at 4-all.

The Hoosiers regained the lead in the fourth after manufacturing a run via a leadoff hit-by-pitch, sacrifice bunt, flyout and single to take a 5-4 lead. 

IU added two more in the fifth to take a 7-4 lead. In the sixth, MSU put their first two runners on before that rally was squashed by a double play. White later scored in the inning on an RBI single from junior outfielder Lea Forester. Junior middle infielder McKenzie Long and freshman third baseman Kelcey Carrasco each walked to set up the homer for Davis.

"Jordan Davis is a shining example of being a great teammate and an unbelievable story — she has filled any role we have asked of her," Joseph said in the release. "Today she was rewarded for every bit of selflessness she has exhibited. I could not be happier for her as a player." 

No. 7 MSU will play No. 2 Michigan on Friday. First pitch is set for 4:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Spartans defeat Indiana in first round of Big Ten Tournament” on social media.