MSU adds Robert Morris transfer Braden Burke as preferred walk-on

Braden Burke is returning to his home state, but per NCAA transfer rules will have to sit out a year before finding any action on the court.

The 6-foot-11 native of Stevensville, Mich., announced Wednesday night via Twitter he would be transferring to MSU from Robert Morris University, just outside Pittsburgh.

In 32 games last season Burke averaged 4.3 points and 2.7 rebounds in 15.2 minutes a game as a true freshman. He also started in seven games while shooting 42.4 percent from the field and scored a career-high 12 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Dec. 31.

Burke will still have three seasons of eligibility left after sitting out next season. He will join the likes of Kenny Goins, Matt Van Dyk, Austin Thornton and other players that went from walk-ons to contributors for head coach Tom Izzo.

MSU still has one more scholarship available for the 2017-18 season after grad transfer Ben Carter was granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA on Monday. The Spartans are still in the running for five-star shooting guard Brian Bowen, who was a high school teammate of MSU-commit Jaren Jackson Jr.

Share and discuss “MSU adds Robert Morris transfer Braden Burke as preferred walk-on” on social media.