James Seaton, MSU professor of English, dies at 72

James Seaton, a professor in the Department of English, died Thursday at the age of 72 after battling cancer. Seaton joined MSU's Humanities Department in 1971 and was a professor in the Department of English from 1980 until his passing.

Seaton taught courses in critical theory, American literature and culture, comparative literature and the history of criticism while in the English department.

“We are saddened by the loss of our devoted colleague, Dr. Seaton,” Christopher Long, dean of the College of Arts and Letters, said in a statement. “He leaves a legacy of profound impact here at MSU and is dearly missed by all faculty, students, and the greater community. On behalf of the college, I wish to express our sincere condolences to his family and friends.”

Seaton studied Comparative Literature with a major in Greek and Latin and a minor in 17th Century French and English, according to his obituary. He earned his BA from the University of Illinois and his doctorate from the University of Iowa.

Seaton published a number of works, including four books and more than 100 essays and reviews. He also received the MidAmerican Award from the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature.

MSU faculty who worked with Seaton have listed their remembrances of Seaton on a memorial web page.

"To the end of his life he himself remained passionate about ideas and devoted to instruction. He continued to have great days—some of his best days—late in his career, teaching with great enthusiasm and publishing with the best presses," Stephen Arch, a professor in MSU's Department of English, said on the memorial website. "I will miss him."

The MSU English department is in the process of establishing an undergraduate award in Seaton's honor.

A funeral service for Seaton will be held at noon Saturday at University United Methodist Church, 1120 S Harrison Road, East Lansing with a visitation at 10:30 a.m.

“Michigan State University has been informed of the death of faculty member James Seaton, 72, who died March 30," MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said. "He was a long-time English professor who taught at MSU for more than 45 years. The thoughts and prayers of the MSU community are with Seaton’s family and friends. For those in the campus community who may be personally affected by this tragedy, resources are available at the MSU Counseling Center."

Share and discuss “James Seaton, MSU professor of English, dies at 72” on social media.