Big Ten Tournament Day 3: U-M stuns Purdue in overtime, 74-70

Michigan junior forward D.J. Wilson (5) blocks Purdue forward Caleb Swanigan (50) during the second half of the game in the third round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 10, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C.
Michigan junior forward D.J. Wilson (5) blocks Purdue forward Caleb Swanigan (50) during the second half of the game in the third round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 10, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C. —

WASHINGTON D.C. — The No. 8-seeded University of Michigan Wolverines will live to play another day in the Big Ten Tournament after defeating No. 1 Purdue Friday, 74-70. 

Forward D.J. Wilson led the way for the Wolverines with 26 points. Purdue forward Caleb Swanigan fouled out in overtime, despite being the team's leading scorer with 13.

TOP PERFORMERS

Points      Rebounds        Assists  
U-M   Wilson (26) Wilson (8) Walton (4)
Purdue   Haas/Carsen Edwards (17)      Swanigan (13)      Swanigan (5)

U-M and Purdue each went on large runs in the cutthroat first half, with Purdue making a bid early to run away with the game. Center Isaac Haas tied the game at 20 with 8:57 left in the half, and the Boilermakers responded with a 9-0 run while keeping U-M scoreless for 4:46 to take a 27-20 lead.

Just before U-M's scoring drought came to an end, Wolverine head coach John Beilein was issued a technical foul. On the next possession, senior guard Derrick Walton Jr. hit a 3-pointer to keep U-M in the game. The Wolverines responded with a 13-2 run to take the lead late in the half. Purdue cut the lead to one point after P.J. Thompson swooshed a buzzer-beating shot from midcourt. 

Both teams shot better than 50 percent from the field for the half, as well as 50 percent from 3-point range.

In the second half, U-M's forwards came into foul trouble before the midway mark of the half — Wilson had two, Moritz Wagner had three and Mark Donnal had four. Despite the foul trouble, Michigan remained tied with Purdue with 11:59 remaining in regulation.

With 11:30 remaining, the Wolverines held Purdue scoreless for 3:04 to take a 53-49 lead, but a 3-point basket from former Wolverine Spike Albrecht brought Purdue back within one with 8:26 to play.

A jump shot from U-M guard Muhammed-Ali Abdur-Rahkman gave Purdue a 3-point edge over the Boilermakers, but it would be the last field goal for U-M for 3:32, a span that gave Purdue a 61-59 lead with 4:15 left.

Another triple from Albrecht would give Purdue a 64-61 lead over U-M with 1:55 left. Wilson laid one up to pull within one, but Carsen Edwards went coast-to-coast to retain a 3-point lead with 33.4 seconds left.

With 21.4 seconds left Wilson was sent to the free-throw line and made one. With 4.2 seconds left U-M guard Zak Irvin hit a layup to tie the game. On the final possession of regulation, Wilson blocked Edwards to send the game into overtime.

With 3:03 left in overtime, Edwards fouled out on an offensive foul. Irvin would score on the next possession. Irvin would score again on U-M's next possession to make it 70-67 with under two minutes in the period.

A missed three from Albrecht in the left corner missed with 46 seconds left. Swanigan would foul out with 20.1 seconds remaining, Walton hit both free throws to make it 72-67. Purdue's Ryan Cline hit a 3-pointer with two seconds left, and Duncan Robinson was fouled with 1.1 seconds left. He hit both free throws to make it 74-70.

U-M will play either No. 5 MSU or No. 4 Minnesota Saturday in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals.

Share and discuss “Big Ten Tournament Day 3: U-M stuns Purdue in overtime, 74-70” on social media.