Big Ten Tournament: Northwestern pounces on Rutgers, 83-61

Rutgers sophomore guard Corey Sanders (3) shoots the ball during the first half of the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 9, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C.
Rutgers sophomore guard Corey Sanders (3) shoots the ball during the first half of the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 9, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C. —

WASHINGTON, D.C. — In the finale of day two at the Big Ten Tournament, the Northwestern Wildcats made quick work of the Rutgers Scarlet Knight, 83-61.

A first half throbbing did all the damage needed to defeat Rutgers. As the score saddled on a 9-6 lead for Rutgers, the Wildcats took over, scoring the next 31 points. 

From 17:09 left in the first half to 5:55, the Scarlet Knights did not score a single point. In that timespan, they shot 0-14 from the field. 

Four players for Northwestern would score in double digits: Vic Law with 16 points, Scottie Lindsey with 16, Bryant McIntosh with 13 and Dererk Pardon with 13. 

Rutgers' Nigel Johnson led the game with 21 points.

The Wildcats would shoot 60 percent from the floor, Rutgers at 42 percent. In the second, the Wildcats mounted a streak of 10 straight field goals made. 

The quest for the Wildcats' inaugural NCAA Tournament bid continues and looks brighter after each win.

Top Performers:

Northwestern (22-10 overall, 11-8)

Points - Law and Lindsey (16) 

Rebounds - Pardon (8)

Assists - Law and Lindsey (4) 

Rutgers (15- 18 overall, 3-16)

Points - Johnson (21)

Rebounds - Gettys and Freeman (5) 

Assists - Sanders (3)

Share and discuss “Big Ten Tournament: Northwestern pounces on Rutgers, 83-61” on social media.