MSU football sends three to NFL Combine

Junior defensive lineman Malik McDowell (4) puts pressure on Northwestern quarterback Clayton Thorson (18) as he attempts to throw a pass during the first quarter of the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wildcats, 54-40.
Junior defensive lineman Malik McDowell (4) puts pressure on Northwestern quarterback Clayton Thorson (18) as he attempts to throw a pass during the first quarter of the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wildcats, 54-40. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

On the heels of a 3-9 season, just three former MSU football players were invited to the NFL Combine. The trio consists of linebacker Riley Bullough, defensive back Montae Nicholson and defensive lineman Malik McDowell, according to the site's participant list.

Of the three, only Bullough used all four years of his college eligibility at MSU. Both Nicholson and McDowell declared for the NFL draft early.

Bullough, a four-year letterwinner, concluded his Spartan career with 214 total tackles. He became the fourth Bullough in MSU history to record at least 200 tackles in their career. Bullough also finished his career with 7.5 sacks, four interceptions and three fumble recoveries. His brother, Max Bullough, is currently a linebacker for the Houston Texans in the NFL. 

McDowell leaves MSU having played in 36 career games. When he was on the field, McDowell amassed 90 tackles, 24.5 for loss and 7.5 sacks. He rotated his time at both defensive tackle and defensive end for the Spartans in 2016.

Nicholson appeared in 11 games in 2016, his junior season. He totaled a career-high in tackles with 86, chipping in two tackles for loss and an interception. The 6-foot-2, 219-pound Nicholson was also a pre-season first-time All-Big Ten selection by Athlon Sports.

The NFL Combine is scheduled from Feb. 28 to March 6.

Share and discuss “MSU football sends three to NFL Combine” on social media.