MSU women's basketball head coach Suzy Merchant to take Medical Leave of Absence

Head coach Suzy Merchant signals to her team during the women's basketball game against Ohio State on Jan. 10, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 94-75.
Head coach Suzy Merchant signals to her team during the women's basketball game against Ohio State on Jan. 10, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 94-75. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

MSU women's basketball head coach Suzy Merchant will take a medical leave of absence from her duties with the Spartans, according to a press release from MSU athletic communications Tuesday afternoon.

According to the release, associate head coach Amaka Agugua will fill in for Merchant, serving as MSU's interim head coach while Merchant is away from the team. Agugua will take over effective immediately.

Following MSU's game against Rutgers on Saturday, Merchant stayed in New Jersey to undergo more testing at a local hospital after experiencing similar symptoms to Merchant's collapse in the fourth quarter against Illinois on Jan. 1.

Merchant missed the team's game against Purdue Jan. 4, but returned to the bench for the Jan. 7 game against Nebraska. 

There is no time frame for Merchant's return yet, according to the release. The Spartans will play Northwestern Tuesday night with tipoff scheduled for 9 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball head coach Suzy Merchant to take Medical Leave of Absence” on social media.