Cox, Minarick honored with Champions in the Classroom awards

Junior setter Rachel Minarick (12) celebrates with her teammates during the volleyball game against Notre Dame on Sept. 16, 2016 at the Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish, 3-0.
Junior setter Rachel Minarick (12) celebrates with her teammates during the volleyball game against Notre Dame on Sept. 16, 2016 at the Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish, 3-0. —
Photo by Victor DiRita | and Victor DiRita The State News

Since 2000, MSU has partnered with Auto-Owners Insurance and together they awarded numerous student-athletes the Auto-Owners Champions in the Classroom award.

The two recipients for this year were junior setter Rachel Minarick of the MSU volleyball team and senior forward Joe Cox of the MSU hockey team. Both athletes are captains of their respective teams. 

Cox and Minarick received their awards during a break in Wednesday night's MSU men's basketball game against No. 24 Minnesota.

According to a university release, the award is aimed at recognizing the importance of reading and academic achievement among student-athletes and the community youth.

Thus far this season, Cox has registered three goals, six assists and nine points. Among current players on the roster, the Chelsea, Mich. native is first in goals with 25, assists with 39, points with 64 and tied with senior forward Thomas Ebbing in games played with 126.

Minarick, on the other hand, is the seventh setter in school history to surpass 3,000 career assists. Her current total is 3,323 assists, which ranks sixth all-time for the MSU volleyball program. The junior also has a 3.95 cumulative grade-point average as a kinesiology major as a Spartan. At the annual volleyball banquet, Minarick was named the Kirby Scholar-Athlete Award.

Share and discuss “Cox, Minarick honored with Champions in the Classroom awards” on social media.