HALFTIME: MSU leads Tennessee Tech 37-27

Sophomore forward Kenny Goins (25) embraces junior guard Greg Roy (40) during the second half of the men's basketball game against Youngstown State on Dec. 6, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Penguins, 77-57.
Sophomore forward Kenny Goins (25) embraces junior guard Greg Roy (40) during the second half of the men's basketball game against Youngstown State on Dec. 6, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Penguins, 77-57. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

MSU (6-4 overall) currently leads Tennessee Tech (4-6 overall) at the half, 37-27. 

After winning the opening tip, redshirt sophomore Kenny Goins fought for an offensive rebound, giving the Spartans a second chance opportunity, which fifth-year senior Eron Harris would turn into a 3-point basket. 

Harris would double his fortune on their next offensive series with another 3-pointer.

MSU as a team would come out firing from three. The Spartans would take six 3-point field goals out of their first seven shots. Harris connected on two, sophomore Kyle Ahrens and senior guard Alvin Ellis III would connect on the other two, taking the Spartans to 4-6 from beyond the arc. 

In the first five minutes of play, the Spartans held a 12-4 lead.

MSU's defense would startle the Golden Eagles throughout the first half. Tennessee Tech consistently shot off balanced jumpers with a hand in their face. The Golden Eagles would end the half shooting 8-of-23 from the field for 35 percent.

Goins and freshman forward Nick Ward would cause multiple problems in the low post for Tennessee Tech. While both Ward and Goins didn't pose the biggest scoring threats, the Golden Eagles picked up foul after foul trying to defend them. While on the flip side, Ward and Goins would pick up two fouls themselves. 

Out of the second media timeout, freshman guard Joshua Langford sided stepped a defender, gaining easy access to the rim for a layup. Langford made his third career start for the Spartans. 

Sophomore guard Matt McQuaid did not suit up for the game. During practice last Thursday, head coach Tom Izzo said McQuaid and Ward accidentally collided, causing McQuaid to take a hit to the head. He was in attendance on the Spartan bench, however.

Ahrens would also make his third start in replace of the injured freshman forward Miles Bridges. Ahrens scored one point ending the half with a career high 8 points. 

In the final four minutes of the half, the Golden Eagles would heat up, making three straight baskets and pulling the lead back to single digits. The Spartans biggest lead of the half was 18 points.

Harris led all scorers with 11 points. Ahrens lead MSU in rebounds with 3 points and freshman guard Cassius Winston lead with 7 assists. 

Before the tip, Izzo received the 2016 Dean Smith Award. The Dean Smith Award is given to the coach that most embodies the character of the former North Carolina Tar Heel head coach. Smith died on Feb. 7, 2015. 

Make sure follow along with The State News on Twitter, or follow along with the live blog. You can send your thoughts, comments, and questions to beat writers Casey Harrison and Connor Clark as the game progresses.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: MSU leads Tennessee Tech 37-27” on social media.