FINAL: Eron Harris leads MSU to 71-63 victory against Tennessee Tech

Senior guard Eron Harris (14) takes a jump-shot during the men's basketball game against Tennessee Tech on Dec. 10, 2016 at Breslin Center.

MSU basketball (7-4) defeated Tennessee Tech (4-7) by a score of 71-63 to push the Spartans' winning streak to three games. 

In the first half, MSU was able to control tempo and push their lead to as many as 18 points. The Golden Eagles would heat-up in the last four minutes to end the half, 37-27. 

MSU was without 3-point marksman, sophomore guard Matt McQuaid, who suffered a head injury in practice last Thursday after an accidental collision with freshman forward Nick Ward, according to head coach Tom Izzo.

The Spartans 3-point ability would not suffer without McQuaid. Fifth-year senior guard Eron Harris and sophomore forward Kyle Ahrens would fill the void. Harris with three made 3-point baskets and Ahrens with two in the first half. Ahrens would tie his career high in points with 9.

To start the second half, Harris continued to build on his game high 11 points in the first half. Harris attacked the rim, going to the free-throw line. He also knocked down 3-point basket after 3-point basket, all of which, touched zero rim. 

In the first three minutes of the second half, Harris had 18 points for the game. 

However, both teams would struggle to gain points in bunches during most of the second half. Mid-way through the half, MSU failed to convert a field-goal for 3:38, while the Golden Eagles went over six minutes without making a field-goal. During this time, both teams would have attempts at the free-throw line.

MSU would have another scoring drought of over six minutes without any field goals. With this large scoring drought, the Golden Eagles began chipping away at the Spartan lead. With two minutes remaining in the game, the score was 65-56.

While MSU efficiently knocked down outside shots, their free-throws massively suffered. The Spartans clanked free-throw after free-throw, ending the game shooting a horrendous 56.7 percent from the line.

MSU currently leads the nation in number of baskets assisted on at 72.7 percent. With 22 made field goals against the Golden Eagles, MSU would assist on 19 of them, freshman guard Cassius Winston the leader with 9 assists.

Whistles were blown constantly throughout the game. A total of 50 fouls were called, putting both teams in foul trouble. For MSU, redshirt sophomore Kenny Goins would foul out for a third time this season, Ahrens and Ward received 4 fouls apiece. 

Tennessee Tech would have three players finish with at least 4 fouls. 

While MSU lost in points in the paint, the Spartan transition game held a 9 point advantage. 

The leading scorer for MSU was Harris with 20 points. Leading in rebounds was Ahrens with 7 and Winston in assists with 9.

The Spartans will play Northeastern on Dec. 18 in their next contest which is set to tip-off at 7 p.m. on Big Ten Network. 

Share and discuss “FINAL: Eron Harris leads MSU to 71-63 victory against Tennessee Tech” on social media.