HALFTIME: Spartans hold on to narrow lead against Golden Grizzlies to start second half

The MSU basketball team was looking for redemption after falling to Northeastern University in stunning fashion on Sunday. Looking to rebound against the Horizon League-leading Oakland University (9-2 overall), the Spartans (7-5 overall) are leading the Golden Grizzlies through the first 20 minutes of play.

The Golden Grizzlies will be within striking distance to start the second half, trailing the Spartans by two, 34-32.

Both the Spartans and the Golden Grizzlies fell victim to Northeastern their last time out — each school looking to snap a one-game skid.

Freshman forward Nick Ward earned his first collegiate start and put MSU on the board first with a layup to begin regulation scoring.

After field goals from redshirt-junior forward Jalen Hayes and junior guard Stevie Clark along with free throws from redshirt-junior Martez Walker, the Golden Grizzlies held a 9-7 advantage through the first four-and-a-half minutes of the half. MSU's freshmen guards, Josh Langford and Cassius Winston, chipped in with doubles and a free throw from senior forward Matt Van Dyk gave the Spartans their seven points.

Fifth-year senior Eron Harris tied the game at nine apiece, and two minutes later Ward would score on back-to-back possessions giving the Spartans the lead momentarily. Senior guard Alvin Ellis III hit a triple with 10:40 left in the half to but MSU back on top, 16-13.

Ellis' 3-pointer would prompt a 10-2 run to eat up the middle minutes of the half, making it 23-17. The Spartans held an eight-point lead until Clark drained a triple, cutting the lead to five, with just over seven minutes in the half.

Oakland cut the Spartan lead down to a one-possession game after a one-and-one free throw from Walker made it 29-26. Langford nailed a triple with 3:15 in the half making it 32-26, Oakland countered with a field goal on the next possession.

A foul called on the Spartans sent sophomore center Brad Brechting to the line for Oakland in the double-bonus. Brechting made his first shot, making it 32-29 with under a minute to play. On the next possession, Ward was fouled and made both shots. 

On the last possession of the half, freshman guard Brailen Neely sank a triple to beat the buzzer and chop MSU's lead to two points into halftime.

Ward led MSU in scoring with 12 and tied Van Dyk for the team lead in rebounds with 6 boards. The Spartans shot 47.8 percent from the floor while keeping the Golden Grizzlies to 42.3 percent shooting. MSU converted on 10-of-15 free throw attempts while Oakland went 6-for-10 from the charity stripe. 

Stay with The State News as the game progresses for instant updates on the game's events. Follow along with beat writer Casey Harrison and newsroom personality Stephen Olschanski on Twitter or with The State News live blog where you can send them your thoughts, opinions, and comments. 

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Spartans hold on to narrow lead against Golden Grizzlies to start second half” on social media.