FINAL: Spartans stunned by Northeastern, fall 81-73

Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a play during the first half of the game against Northeastern on Dec. 18, 2016 at Breslin Center.

After being outshot, outrebounded and outscored by Northeastern University in the first half, the MSU men's basketball team were unable to overcome a four-point halftime deficit and fell to the Huskies in stunning fashion by a final score of 81-73.

With the loss, the Spartans fell to a 7-5 overall record while the Huskies climb one game above .500, now 6-5 overall.

Freshmen guard Cassius Winston and forward Nick Ward started the second half on the floor for MSU — Ward led the Spartans in the first half with 10 points. 

Northeastern extended its lead by an additional three points to start off the first half, with a basket from forward Alex Murphy, followed by a foul. Murphy converted on the free throw.

The Spartans cut the lead down to a one-basket game following field goals from Ward and sophomore guard Matt McQuaid. Sophomore Forward Kyle Ahrens hit the team's second 3-point basket of the game to make it 41-39.

A pair of free throws from freshman guard Joshua Langford tied the game, 41-41. The Huskies would quickly regain the lead after junior guard Devon Begley made two from the line as a result of a technical foul called on MSU head coach Tom Izzo.

MSU would claim its first lead of the half when fifth-year senior Eron Harris sank a shot from downtown, giving the Spartans a 45-43 lead with 14:11 left in regulation. Harris' 3-pointer would spark a 9-2 run for the Spartans. During MSU's scoring stretch, Northeastern failed to convert on nine straight field goal attempts, resulting in a 7:42 scoring drought. 

Northeastern's rut would come to an end following a 3-point shot from senior guard T.J. Williams, but the Spartans were still up on the Huskies. MSU was in control 51-48 with 11:01 to play.

The Huskies retook the lead from MSU after making a 3-point field goal from freshman guard Bolden Brace to take a two-point lead. Back-to-back jumpers from Ahrens would tie the game 59-59 with 7:24 to play.

Northeastern extended the lead to five points. After consecutive scores from Williams and Brace, Izzo would take a timeout to start MSU's next possession. Ahrens would lay one up to narrow the Husky lead to three points.

The Spartans were unable to score for the next two minutes, allowing Northeastern to take a 10 point lead. In that stretch, the Huskies went on a 7-0 lead with three consecutive field goals.

Murphy led the way for the Huskies with 18 points, Williams and Begley just behind him with 16. Northeastern finished the game shooting 25-of-55 from the field, including 11-of-23 from beyond the arc. The Huskies assisted on 17 baskets and outrebounded MSU, 33-31.

Ward, Winston and Harris each finished the contest in double-digit scoring — Winston led the team with 21 points. MSU shot 48.1 percent from the floor, 5-of-16 from 3-point range. McQuaid would be the only player to foul out for MSU.

The Spartans will rest until Wednesday when they host Oakland University back at the Breslin. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Spartans stunned by Northeastern, fall 81-73” on social media.