Senior class prepares for final game in Spartan Stadium, reflect on their careers

Head coach Mark Dantonio and the Spartans wait to run out of the tunnel during the game against the University of Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.

Saturday afternoon will mark the final time the 2016 senior class will step foot onto Spartan Stadium. The game will have an extra meaning to those guys, as well as MSU head coach Mark Dantonio, whose 7-2 record on senior day has sent his seniors out with a victory.

MSU takes on No. 2 Ohio State, who comes in as a heavy favorite, winning its past two games both by a score of 62-3. The Spartans' 2016 senior class has won 39 games, fourth most as a class in school history, including two Big Ten Championships and victories in the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl.

Dantonio, since his arrival, has preached that his players must have their best year in their final year. The majority of the seniors have quietly been doing just that, but the seven losses are casting a shadow over those performances.

Fifth-year senior quarterback and captain Tyler O’Connor took the reins at quarterback for MSU this year after being the clear-cut winner in the spring. O’Connor, despite not starting two contests, has thrown for 1,747 yards and 15 touchdowns. He ranks fourth in the Big Ten (31st nationally) with a 147.1 pass efficiency rating. Dantonio has praised his maturity and leadership skills and how he makes a big impact off the field.

Defensively, cornerback Darian Hicks has battled through injuries all season but remains the Spartans best cover corner. He now has the task to help develop the young corner turned wide receiver in Justin Layne, who has shown steady improvement under Hick’s tutelage. Hicks has 26 tackles this season, good for ninth on the team, and leads the Spartans in both interceptions with two and pass breakups with eight.

A few other seniors were available to talk about their experience while wearing the green and white and the significance that Saturday’s game has for them.

Tight End Josiah Price (30 receptions, 309 yards, five touchdowns)

Price currently sits at fourth all-time in MSU history in touchdown receptions with 21 after his two scores against Rutgers. He will leave MSU as the Spartans' all-time leader in that category for tight ends.

“It’s just crazy to think about, I don’t really try to think about it too much and just focus and treat it like any other game,” Price said. “I think it’ll hit me more when we are out there in Spartan Stadium for the last time and you’re really thinking like ‘dang this is the last go around,’ in the uniform and in the green and white. So I guess I'll come to that when that moment comes but right now I’m focused on trying to prepare these guys and get the young guys ready and get our offense ready to execute a great game plan.”

Price is also a semifinalist for the 2016 Wuerffel Trophy, known as “College Football’s Premier Award for Community Service.” The senior has also been a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree, a nomination he should receive yet again at the end of this season.

Offensive/Defensive Lineman Brandon Clemons (Eight tackles, one for loss, starting offensive guard for MSU in six games)

Clemons has been one of the most versatile players for MSU this season, filling in at multiple positions along the offensive line as well as taking snaps on the defensive line with so many injuries occurring on that side of the ball.

The sixth-year senior will actually get to experience his second senior day after going through the process last year, not knowing if he would be granted a sixth year of eligibility before the season.

“I’m just gonna approach it like another game,” Clemons said. “It’s gonna be bittersweet, but as my last game at Spartan Stadium comes to an end, the next chapter of my life is starting to come, so I’m beginning to start the next chapter of my life. It’s gonna be bittersweet but it’s just another game and I’m going to come out excited as I always do and try my hardest.”

Linebacker Riley Bullough (57 tackles, 6.5 for loss, four quarterback hits. Missed three games with injury)

The senior captain missed three games following MSU’s week three win over Notre Dame and missed the majority of the game against Maryland after being ejected in the first quarter. Regardless, Bullough is third on the team in tackles and second in tackles for loss even though he played in just over six games for the 3-7 Spartans.

Bullough becomes yet another Bullough family member to go through four years with MSU’s football program, following his older brother Max and leaving behind his younger brother Byron.

“It’s gonna be emotional for all the seniors,” Bullough said. “We have so many memories in that stadium, some great memories, and it coming to an end is kind of crazy for me to think about. I know our guys will come out to play and that’s what's exciting about it."

Wide Receiver R.J. Shelton (47 catches, 710 yards, five touchdowns)

Shelton is the lone Spartan native to the state of Wisconsin on this year’s roster but has forged great relationships with the players on the team. He has been a leader in mentoring a stable of youth at the receiver position, including the likes of Donnie Corley and Trishton Jackson.

It seems as though MSU has a different senior step up every season under Dantonio, starting with Mark Dell in 2013, followed by Tony Lippett and Aaron Burbridge. All three of them went on to play in the NFL, and Shelton has certainly been the go-to guy for MSU this season.

“(MSU) has built me into a man on and off the field,” Shelton said. “Handling success, not handling success, up and downs, what we are going through right now and obviously the high points of winning the championships, having the great records. It just builds character for you as a person individually. … For me, it’s just unreal to me right now that my last few games coming up, so you cherish every moment and you work hard to put this team in a good situation to win.”

Kicker Michael Geiger (10-14 FGs, long of 52, 29-29 extra points)

Geiger will be known for years to come in Spartan folklore for his game-winning field goal against Ohio State last season, as well as his sixty-yard windmill dance and celebration.

“I don’t think there’s any way emotionally you can prepare yourself, but for me, I’m really gonna try to focus on the game and I definitely am going to be sad afterward,” Geiger said. “But for me, I see it as another opportunity. I want to go out on such a high note at Spartan Stadium and I don’t want to be thinking ‘aww man it’s my last game’, so from my perspective just want go out on a high note and maybe afterwards reflect on all the good times we’ve had.”

Geiger also recalled his favorite MSU moment off the field, where the big screen at Breslin Center captured him in the stands of the Izzone three days after his field goal. Fans cheered him on and yes, he windmilled for the Spartan supporters. 

Share and discuss “Senior class prepares for final game in Spartan Stadium, reflect on their careers” on social media.