No. 2-ranked forward commits to MSU women's basketball team

To complete the MSU women's basketball 2017 recruiting class, head coach Suzy Merchant announced Tuesday that 6-foot-4 forward Sidney Cooks signed her National Letter of Intent, according to a release by MSU Athletic Communications.

After deciding to commit to MSU in private, Cooks later took to Twitter to make her decision public.

Cooks is the No. 5 overall recruit in the country and the No. 2 recruit at her position, according to ESPN HoopGurlz.

In 2016, Cooks earned AP first-team All-State and USA Today first-team All-Wisconsin honors.

In her junior season, Cooks averaged 23.1 points, 12.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 3.7 blocks per game. Cooks led the St. Joseph Lancers to their first WIAA state tournament appearance, where they were state runner-ups in Division 4. Cooks also surpassed 1,000 points in her junior season.

The forward also has received two FIBA Americas Championship medals, one gold and one silver. The gold came with the USA U18 National Team that competed in the FIBA Americas Championship in Chile. In this tournament, Cooks averaged 10.6 points and 7.8 rebounds per contest. The silver medal came from Cooks’ time with the 3x3 U18 National Team that competed in Kazakhstan.

Cooks will join 5-foot-11 guard Claire Hendrickson in the signing class of 2017 for MSU.

Share and discuss “No. 2-ranked forward commits to MSU women's basketball team” on social media.