MSU volleyball to host opening rounds of NCAA Tournament

The team celebrates from the sidelines after scoring a point during the game against Michigan on Nov. 12, 2016 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 3-1.
The team celebrates from the sidelines after scoring a point during the game against Michigan on Nov. 12, 2016 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 3-1. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

Late Sunday evening, the MSU volleyball team welcomed good news regarding its impending journey in the NCAA Tournament. The Spartans earned the overall No. 9 seed and will host Fairfield University, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, or MAAC, champions. The match against the Stags is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 2 at Jenison Field House.

MSU will enter the tournament as an at-large bid after posting a 24-8 overall record to go with its 13-7 Big Ten record. Elsewhere around the conference, it will be sending six seeded teams and eight overall as part of the 64-team field.

The Spartans will be making their 19th appearance in the tournament and sixth straight, the second longest in school history. After earning their seed, the team will host both first and second round games of the NCAA Tournament, Dec. 2-3. 

Along with Fairfield, Cleveland State University and the University of Arizona will be in town for the other first round game. That match is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Dec. 2 and will be played before the Spartans and Stags square off.

The winner between the Spartans and Stags will play the victor between the Vikings and Wildcats for a spot in the Sweet 16 at 7 p.m. on Dec. 3 at Jenison.

Under head coach Cathy George and in her 12 years at the helm, this is the Spartans' ninth time making it to the tournament. This will also be the fourth time in school history the team has hosted games at its home venue, the first time since 2003 and the first time under George.

Share and discuss “MSU volleyball to host opening rounds of NCAA Tournament” on social media.