Amid data breach, MSU offering free credit monitoring

<p>Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

On Nov. 13, 449 MSU students and faculty's social security numbers, names and APID numbers were accessed in a data breach that reportedly exposed about 400,000 university records. 

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody described the act as "criminal," but said it's not the first attack of this nature MSU has seen.

"To put it in context, MSU sees hundred thousands of attacks every month," Cody said. "We're constantly under cyber attack, as all large institutions are."

Passwords and financial, academic, contact or health information were not exposed in the breach. 

The hackers were able to access an MSU database using a vulnerability in some software MSU was using. The university took the database offline within 24 hours following the attack, Cody said. 

The attack is under active investigation by MSU police, and it is currently not known what made this specific attack more potent than others MSU has faced. Cody said he's still not at liberty to discuss details because of that and because the investigation is still ongoing. 

MSU IT is currently undergoing an initiative to improve data security and strengthen its infrastructure.

In September 2016, the MSU Board of Trustees approved the funding and construction of a $46 million data center geared toward the "ever-growing" use of technology on campus.

"Our IT services team has been working some time now to go through MSU's IT infrastructure to build up the security system as possible," Cody said. "So it's been an ongoing process and in light of this breach we need to focus on those efforts."

MSU will be providing free credit monitoring services to all those affected by the hack, and encourages students to be careful with their sensitive information.

"Students need to keep in mind how important it is to safeguard their identity," Cody said. 

Share and discuss “Amid data breach, MSU offering free credit monitoring” on social media.