Saturday, May 18, 2024

As football kicks off, families and students begin tailgating tradition

People play corn hole while tailgating before the MSU football game against Furman on Sept. 1, 2016 at the MSU tennis courts.

Many tailgaters have been at it for years, second-year law students Eric Peabody and Will Resnik.

“(I’ve been tailgating) ever since I knew what football was,” Resnik said. “It’s fun. It’s a great way to meet up with your friends, and you all get ready for the game to go cheer on your team.”

For Resnik and Peabody, tailgating is a tradition. They go before every MSU football game, whether it’s raining, snowing, hot or cold, they said.

The social atmosphere of tailgating is also a draw, Peabody said. Tailgaters will cook food, play games and listen to music before the game.

Sometimes, tailgating is more of a family-oriented activity. The Garver family of Spring Arbor, Mich. tailgated for the first time together before Friday’s game.

“Since we have two kids (attending MSU), we basically thought that we’d all just tailgate,” Mike Garver said.

Although the process of tailgating was stressful, Garver said. The family parked in a lot across from Breslin Center and had to haul their tent, chairs and small grill wagons to get to their tailgating location in South Neighborhood.

However, Garver said they would do it again.

To tailgate in one of the many public parking lots on campus, figuring out where to park is the first step. Some tailgaters park in lots and walk with their stuff to set up tents, like the Garver family, while others tailgate in parking lots next to their cars.

“It’s fun and, you know, we’ve been through here for games, and to just walk through here and watch the tailgaters, it looked like fun,” Garver said. “It’s kind of our first time and we’re just feeling it out, getting our ‘tailgate legs.’ (We’re) figuring out the dos and don’ts and what we need next time, but we’re looking forward to it in the future.”

While tailgating takes place all over campus, it is most condensed in South Neighborhood surrounding Spartan Stadium and the tennis courts.

There are certain regulations that must be kept in mind when tailgating. Cars cannot be parked on the grass, and tailgaters cannot arrive before the tailgating time starts.

Another recent development is MSU’s tobacco-free campus, which will be upheld during games. Tobacco use is not permitted at any time and tents can be no larger than 10 ft. by 10 ft, according to tailgate rules.

Some lots are also alcohol-free, like Munn field and the pedestrian areas adjacent to Spartan Stadium.

Share and discuss “As football kicks off, families and students begin tailgating tradition” on social media.