Sunday, May 12, 2024

Accafellas take the stage on the Morning Express

<p>Accafellas are an&nbsp;all-male a capella group at MSU. This year marks the 20th&nbsp;anniversary&nbsp;of their group's creation.&nbsp;Photo courtesy of&nbsp;Nitish Pahwa.</p>

Accafellas are an all-male a capella group at MSU. This year marks the 20th anniversary of their group's creation. Photo courtesy of Nitish Pahwa.

Taking their voices from the stage to the big screen, The Accafellas, an all-male a capella group at MSU, performed on Morning Express with Robin Meade on Sept. 23.

Though the group was founded in 1996, this is the first time they’ve sung for a popular TV program.

Joined by members of the MSU cheerleading team, dance team and Sparty, the singers serenaded Meade with a customized rendition of the song "Yellow" by Coldplay. The TV anchor swooned as the gentlemen replaced words in the song with her name and the name of her show. 

Professional writing senior Nitish Pahwa is the group’s music director and performed the leading vocals for the show.

Pahwa joined The Accafellas two years ago when he was a sophomore and said he has loved the opportunity to continue his passion for music that he developed before college.

“My favorite thing is just performing, honestly,” Pahwa said. “It’s just so cool to sing for large group of people and see how they react to the songs we sing.”

A TV debut isn’t the only new thing hitting the group this year.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of The Accafellas and in mid-October, the group will reunite with alumni and some of the men who founded the group.

Though the group does their own arrangements, music education and music composition freshman Daniel Dade could potentially write music for the singers to perform.

Dade started writing music in the seventh grade and after gradually improving through high school, had the opportunity to write music for his school’s marching band, orchestra and choir. 

Looking to continue pursuing his love for music in college, Dade said he looks forward to continuing to sing with The Accafellas and is currently in the process of potentially writing songs for them to perform.

“Music is a way I can express myself where everyone understands it,” Dade said. “You can feel the emotion in the music, and that’s what I really love about music and why I really love having it in my life.”

Share and discuss “Accafellas take the stage on the Morning Express ” on social media.