Legendary MSU hockey coach Ron Mason dies at 76

<p>Former hockey head coach Ron Mason waves to the fans at  Munn Ice Arena, March 2, 2002. State News File Photo</p>

Former hockey head coach Ron Mason waves to the fans at Munn Ice Arena, March 2, 2002. State News File Photo

Photo by State News file photo | The State News

First reported by Michigan Hockey Now, legendary and former MSU hockey coach Ron Mason has died at the age of 76.

Mason guided MSU hockey for 23 seasons beginning in 1979. Over the course of those 23 seasons, Mason was known for his profound leadership which helped the Spartans capture 17 CCHA titles (7 regular season, 10 tournament), 19 NCAA Tournament appearances, seven Frozen Four trips and one national championship in 1986. He was named college hockey’s national coach of the year in 1992.

Mason’s 635-270-69 record during his tenure is unmatched by any MSU hockey coach. Mason also held head coaching stints at Lake Superior State University and Bowling Green State University before joining MSU.

His 924 total wins was once a college hockey record before he was surpassed by Boston College head coach Jerry York in 2012.

One of the founders of the CCHA, the trophy given to the conference tournament champions was named in his honor.

After retiring from coaching, Mason became MSU athletic director in 2002. His astounding career garnered the honor of being elected to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 2013. 

Check back at statenews.com for updates. 

Share and discuss “Legendary MSU hockey coach Ron Mason dies at 76” on social media.