Trump draws criticism from Republican Party, Clinton still without a running mate

<p>Donald Trump speaks with the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board on June 29, 2015, in Chicago.</p>

Donald Trump speaks with the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board on June 29, 2015, in Chicago.

Photo by Michael Tercha/Chicago Tribune/T | The State News

REPUBLICAN ROUND-UP

Trump revokes Washington Post Credentials

Presumptive Republican nominee, Donald J. Trump revoked the Washington Post’s press credentials last week, effectively banning the prominent newspaper from covering his campaign. The decision to terminate the Post’s access came following a headline in the Post that stated “Donald Trump seems to connect President Obama to Orlando Shooting.” Trump, as he has many times before with press, called the Post dishonest.

ACLU sues the city of Cleveland

The ACLU, or American Civil Liberties Union, sued the City of Cleveland last Tuesday stating in the lawsuit in that the protester rules laid out by the city for the Republican National Convention are in violation of the First Amendment. Citing a breach on free speech, the ACLU told CBS News “The restrictions on speech put in place by the City of Cleveland are arbitrary, unnecessary and unjustifiable. The current rules for demonstrations at the RNC are actively blocking groups from all sides of the political spectrum from participating in their government."

Cleveland has given protesters a 3.3 mile zone for protests, a number the ACLU wants reduced.

Trump's Response to Orlando draws backlash from Republican Party

Trump’s response to the worst mass shooting in U.S. history drew sharp criticism and condemnation from his own party last week. Following the tragedy, Trump re-upped his call on a ban on Muslims entering the United States which evoked criticism from Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan.

“I do not think a Muslim ban is in our country’s interest,” Ryan told the Washington Post. “I do not think it is reflective of our principles, not just as a party but as a country.”

The Washington Post also quoted prominent Republican, Lindsey Graham, as saying about Trump,“I don’t think he has the judgment or the temperament, the experience to deal with what we are facing.”

Clarence Thomas rumors are “BOGUS” says wife

The Washington Examiner quoted anonymous sources in writing that Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas, was considering retirement. Thomas’ wife, Ginni Thomas, called the rumors bogus on Facebook and said the article was click bait. No reputable sources or media outlets have reported on confirmation of rumors of retirement.

Apple will not be supporting the RNC

Citing issues with rhetoric from Donald Trump, multi-billion dollar tech company, Apple, will not be supporting the Republican National Convention. Unnamed spokesman briefed on Apple’s decision told Politico, New York Times and other sources, that the company had issues with Trump’s stances on trade with China and his words on immigrants and Muslims. 

DEMOCRATIC DISPATCH

Dem Senator wages nearly 15 hour filibuster to push gun legislation forward

Senator Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) embarked on a filibuster to move forward to gun control bills.

The speeches come in the wake of the Orlando shooting where 49 people were killed by a gunman.

His various speeches came to an end around 2:11 a.m., according to the Associated Press.

Murphy discussed the Newtown, Connecticut shooting towards the end of his filibuster.

"For those of us that represent Connecticut, the failure of this body to do anything, anything at all in the face of that continued slaughter isn't just painful to us, it's unconscionable," Murphy said.

According to Murphy, the speeches did what he had hoped.

“And so I'm still hopeful that we're going to be able to get votes. I know there are also some compromise negotiations happening that may bear fruit," Murphy said Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

Clinton, Sanders campaigns one month until the convention

Clinton’s campaign will begin preparation for the upcoming Democratic Convention that will take place in Philadelphia on July 25 to 28.

Clinton’s preparation includes gather each part of her team, including a VP nomination.

Recently, Clinton added Jacob Leibenluft, a former economic adviser to President Obama, to her campaign.

Sanders' campaign has been vocal about riding out the trail all the way to the convention.

"And what I hope that the delegates going to the Democratic National Convention understand is that in virtually every state poll we do much better against Trump than does Secretary Clinton," Sanders said to CNN, nearly two weeks ago.

Clinton still without a running mate

Predictions have come from all directions for Clinton’s vice president position. Five names have been circulating around the conversation: Senator Elizabeth Warren (D- Mass.), Senator Tim Kaine (D- Va.), Senator Cory Booker (D- N.J.), former United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julián Castro and Senator Sherrod Brown (D- Ohio).

Sanders has not endorsed Clinton, will not drop

Senator Sanders has yet to endorse Clinton, despite calls for him to drop and get united behind Donald Trump.

Sanders and Clinton began talks last Tuesday to discuss their campaigns.

Some speculate that Sanders will endorse Clinton before the convention, according to the Washington Post.

Jeff Weaver, a longtime Sanders confidant, told the Washington Post that Sanders endorsing Clinton will not see an end to her campaign.

During a live stream on Thursday, Sanders did not endorse Clinton, but said he make sure that “Donald Trump is defeated and defeated badly.”

Share and discuss “Trump draws criticism from Republican Party, Clinton still without a running mate” on social media.