Worth the wait: Golden Harvest offers a unique dining experience

Ithaca, Mich. resident Abby Staley, left, and Holt, Mich. resident Jesse Slocum laugh together on June 8, 2016 at Golden Harvest at 1625 Turner St. in Lansing, Mich.
Ithaca, Mich. resident Abby Staley, left, and Holt, Mich. resident Jesse Slocum laugh together on June 8, 2016 at Golden Harvest at 1625 Turner St. in Lansing, Mich. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Unique specials, such as the peach cobbler French toast or the Cap’n Crunch French toast, are offered daily and always vary.

“I’m so jealous of the (peach cobbler French toast),” Lacey Galas, a customer, said. “I should have ordered that.”

Galas ordered pancakes, which still lived up to her expectations that came from recommendations and good reviews from others.

Despite the 15 minute wait outside of the establishment and a 40 minute wait for their food, MSU alumnus Miles Joyce’s Polish omelette was “definitely hitting the spot.”

The exterior of the restaurant is decorated with street signs, toys, vinyl records and painted phrases, all on top of a bright turquoise colored brick. The door of the establishment has a list of restaurant rules, as well as the infamous skull with fork and knife crossbones logo.

With random vintage knickknacks, posters and even action figures decorating the inside, the restaurant is a total contrast of the traditional sit down diner experience. A blank wall does not exist.

A variety of music pumps loudly through the restaurant along with conversation that’s overheard due to the intimate seating. Intimate meaning only 33 seats are available in the joint, which is why people stand in line 30 minutes before the diner opens. Whether it’s raining or snowing, hot or breezy, customers always seem to have the “it was worth the wait” mindset.

So what makes this place so popular? The food? The decor? Or is it the people who make it a community? Most people hear about the restaurant from word of mouth, and it may be popular from the curiosity of waiting in line for a diner. But when it comes down to it, the food and service is what keeps Golden Harvest going strong.

“The point of this place is to come in and be yourself,” Jasmine Hughes, the four year cook, said. “We are all equal.”

The attitudes and energy that the staff has is reciprocated by the customers. They aren’t just employees, but a family in an environment where they are appreciated by their bosses. The family bond is shown to customers as well.

“Everyone here is my best friend and customers I care about as friends,” Hughes said.

Having this mentality is what keeps people around and new customers coming in. The “come as you are” attitude appeals to many and it allows for people from different backgrounds to come in and be welcomed.

The establishment, which opened in 1951, continues to hold the same traditions and values of “have fun...definitely...us and the customers,” Steve King, a Golden Harvest server, said.

By supporting local farmers markets such as Horrocks, Golden Harvest continues to be proud of the fresh and locally bought food because it goes back into the community.

“The food is fresh, and it keeps people coming back,” Zondria Hoyle, a Golden Harvest regular, said. “A variety like no other is offered, and it’s different each day. I came Sunday and got something off the board (of daily specials) and today (Tuesday) it’s all different, and that’s a good thing.”

A restaurant that is not just a business but part of a community that cares about the city and its customers is one that will always thrive. And Golden Harvest continues to do so.

Share and discuss “Worth the wait: Golden Harvest offers a unique dining experience” on social media.