Food apps offer convenience to college students

“For food apps, I use Hooked and GrubHub,” Mark Feather, an employee at The Peanut Barrel, said.

Hooked is free and available for Apple and Android devices. On this app one can find a list of discounts and coupons from food places near them, and once he or she finds the deal or food they would like, they can then to the establishment, click “Use it now” in the app and show it to the cashier to get the listed deal. Deals on the app last no longer than five hours, so Hooked is consistently updated with new deals.

“I use Hooked because it’s local and GrubHub is an app that’s commonly used to order food, so I use that for low prices on food I order,” Feather said.

GrubHub offers its users free pickup and delivery for several restaurants. On the GrubHub app, users can find reviews on restaurants, which helps if it’s their first time ordering from that establishment. Users enter their location and what they’re craving, then GrubHub supplies them with a list of what they’re looking for in their area.

The Yelp app offers reviews on local food businesses and lets users search for restaurants that are nearby. Through Yelp it is possible to view photos of the restaurant and its food, and users can get directions to where they’re trying to go as well as make reservations. Yelp is free and available for Apple and Android devices.

EatStreet gives me the best deals, I use that to order food when I’m on campus,” media and information junior Temia Gaines, said.

EatStreet gives users many options when ordering food. When placing a big order over the phone it can be difficult splitting the bill between a group. With EatStreet that problem is resolved, with its “split the bill with friends” option. It’s as simple as selecting your food and then having friends join with their order, to make it a group order.

EatStreet also offers deals, and the more you order through the app the more coupon deals it sends back in return. This app is available to Apple and Android users.

College students now have a food app catered just to them. EnvoyNow is an app that delivers food from restaurants that don’t offer delivery service to college campuses. Through this app students can order food like McDonald’s and Chipotle from 6 p.m. until midnight Monday through Sunday. There is a delivery fee of $2.99 when ordering through Envoy to pay its student drivers. EnvoyNow is available to students in the Apple App Store.

Share and discuss “Food apps offer convenience to college students” on social media.