MSU head coach Tom Izzo elected Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame

Head coach Tom Izzo during the first half of the game on Feb. 28, 2016 at the Breslin Center.  The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions 88-57.
Head coach Tom Izzo during the first half of the game on Feb. 28, 2016 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions 88-57. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

MSU head coach Tom Izzo will officially join the game's elite as he has been elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The announcement was made Monday morning as part of the Final Four Weekend in Houston, Texas.

In his 21 seasons as MSU's coach, Izzo has led the Spartans to seven Final Four appearances which ranks fifth all-time and is tied for third among active coaches. Since Izzo took over at MSU in 1995, no coach has made to the Final Four more than Izzo. Izzo has also led MSU to two national championship game appearances and one championship.

“I’ve always told my players that they need to dream something before they can achieve it,” Izzo said in a press release. “Growing up in Iron Mountain, I had plenty of dreams, many of them seemed like long shots. But I’d be lying if I said being in the Hall of Fame was one of those dreams – it seemed too big. Even today, it’s surreal.

“As a coach, you can’t accomplish anything without the help of others. While I’m the one being recognized by the Hall of Fame, it’s only because of the work, support and advice from so many people that have touched both my life and my career. From the guidance and love of my family and friends, to the instruction and advice from my teachers and mentors, to the hard work and accomplishments of my coaches and players, and the great support from my administration, they’ve all made the ‘undreamable’ a reality.”

MSU has made the NCAA Tournament a Big Ten record 19 consecutive seasons, which is also currently the third longest streak in the country, only behind Kansas (27) and Duke (21). The streak is also the fourth longest in NCAA Tournament history.

Izzo has 46 NCAA Tournament wins, which is tied for eighth most all-time. In addition, Izzo's record of 13 wins as a lower-seeded team in the tournament is the most of any coach in NCAA Tournament history.

“As a roommate and friend of Tom Izzo since the early 1980s, I have always admired and respected Coach’s ability to care and fight for people and issues beyond his area of responsibility,” MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis said in a release. “He is passionate about the game of basketball, higher education and the people that commit their lives to the ideals of these pursuits. His attention to detail, concern about right and wrong, and the importance of personal accountability of everyone contribute to his success. With humility as his athletic director, emotion as his friend, and pride as a Spartan, I appreciate the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in recognizing Tom’s contributions to the game.”

In his 21 seasons, Izzo has amassed an astounding coaching record of 524-205, giving him the fifth most wins all-time for a coach through their first 21 seasons. Izzo has always put great pride in MSU's strength of schedule, and since the 1997-98 season, MSU has played an NCAA-best 205 ranked teams.

This season, Izzo passed legendary Purdue head coach Gene Keady to become the second-winningest coach at a Big Ten school, trailing only Indiana’s Bob Knight. Izzo's 246 Big Ten wins also ranks third all-time behind just Knight and Keady. Izzo won his fifth Big Ten Tournament title this season which is the most ever by a Big Ten coach.

Under Izzo, 16 MSU players have been selected in the NBA Draft while 84 percent of Izzo's players who have completed their eligibility at MSU have left the university with a degree.

Izzo has been at MSU since the 1983-84 season and was promoted to associate head coach in 1990. In 1993, then-MSU Athletics Director Merrily Dean Baker gave a recommendation that Izzo be appointed head coach when former coach Jud Heathcote retired after the 1994-95 season.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said in the release she is very happy for Izzo's induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. She said this induction validates what MSU have known for a long time, that Izzo is one of the best coaches in the country.

“Everyone sees his passion for winning games, cutting down nets and hanging championship banners," Simon said in the release. "They see his commitment to never cutting corners, relying instead on hard work and determination to accomplish great things. I’m fortunate in that I get to see Tom work equally as hard to develop young men, preparing them for success after basketball. His determination to see others succeed and reach their goals, be it within athletics or across campus, make him the ultimate ambassador for Michigan State University – a world class University built on land-grant values such as hard work, integrity and ingenuity. And that’s why today all of Team MSU salutes Coach Izzo on his landmark honor.”

Share and discuss “MSU head coach Tom Izzo elected Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame ” on social media.