Sunday, April 28, 2024

MSU Department of Theatre’s ‘Grease’ based on Broadway roots

Assistant professor Brad Willcuts directs rehearsal on Feb. 24, 2016 at MSU Department of Theatre.  The play Grease premieres April 25, 2016.
Assistant professor Brad Willcuts directs rehearsal on Feb. 24, 2016 at MSU Department of Theatre. The play Grease premieres April 25, 2016.

A syncopated hand rhythm was combined with a complex foot step during one of the first rehearsals for the MSU Department of Theatre’s upcoming production of “Grease.”

The challenging choreography is being taught by Brad Willcuts, who is both the director and choreographer of “Grease.”

“I love to direct and choreograph, that’s really my favorite thing to do,” Willcuts said. “When you can do both, you get to really latch on to your concept, especially when you’re doing something new.”

MSU will be producing “Grease” in a manner that has rarely been seen since the original Broadway production in 1971, Willcuts said.

“It’s not your mom’s ‘Grease’ — it’s more of a PG-13 version,” Willcuts said.

After the original Broadway run, the musical “Grease” was transformed into the cleaner version that is popular today. Through Samuel French Licensing, Willcuts gained permission to produce MSU’s Grease in its original manner — profanity and all.

“Because we have the actual word-for-word original script that they did on Broadway, we want to honor that,” Willcuts said. “That started to motivate the set, the lights, the scenic, my concept for it, how the choreography was created and the story we were telling.”

Many of the MSU students involved in “Grease” said they are excited about this reinvented iteration.

“It’s totally different than anything you’ve ever seen before, and it’s in a different style that you’ve never thought of,” theatre freshman Cassie Nieri said.

Theatre sophomore Shelby Antel will play the lead role of Sandy.

“This is my first musical with MSU,” Antel said. “I’m obviously very excited to be playing Sandy, it’s a big undertaking.”

Willcuts said everyone seem to be ready to show the MSU community their talents.

“People know the show, but we’re twisting it,” Willcuts said. “They are going to see the version that much more closely resembles the way the authors originally intended to do the show, not the way it has been changed over time.”

Grease will run April 15-17 and April 20-24. Tickets are available through the Wharton Center Box Office, and can be bought online and at the door.

Share and discuss “MSU Department of Theatre’s ‘Grease’ based on Broadway roots” on social media.