Sunday, April 28, 2024

MSU's Meat Judging Team competes across the nation

Animal science junior Jennifer Spaans examines a beef carcass on March 29, 2016 at Anthony Hall in the Meats Laboratory. The MSU Meat Judging Team evaluates a beef carcass by examining its trimness, muscling and quality. Quality of meat is determined by color and intramuscular fat.

Meat is commonly a part of students’ meals, but for a group of five MSU students, it’s also part of their homework.

The Meat Judging Team is composed of five students and a coach who meet twice a week for class to prepare for meat judging competitions. This program teaches students the skills they need to properly determine the quality of different cuts of meat.

“They learn pretty much all aspects of meat quality and grading," animal science graduate student and coach of the Meat Judging Team Sara Bronkema said. "We’ll look at three different livestock species — beef, pork and lamb. They’ll be able to evaluate the quality and cut-ability of different cuts of meat. They also evaluate if cuts of meat have been cut correctly and that sort of thing."

They use their class time as practice. A typical class schedule involves examining meat in the meat cooler, determining the quality of the meat, writing down their reasoning behind their choice and then going back to the classroom to discuss what they found.

This procedure is very similar to the protocol at competitions. The team attends six total competitions across the country during the year.

The team is split into small groups, where they’re mixed in with several other students from meat judging teams at other universities. The groups then enter the cooler and begin examining a class of four carcasses, wholesale cuts or retail cuts.

They rank these based on quality, trimness and muscling characteristics. There is also a section of the competition where they evaluate how the meat has been cut and processed.

After the allotted time to examine the meat is over, they’re directed to a room where they’re given an hour and a half to write out “reasons” for each class. These reasons defend why each person placed a class the way they did.

Each team member is given a score individually and at the end, the team has their scores complied together to make a team score. This score is what determines which team wins.

These competitions typically last all day, from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., and give students the opportunity to compete against students from universities around the U.S.

“The main basis of the contest is looking at those fresh meat cuts and carcasses,” Bronkema said. “The students will evaluate a set number of classes and they’ll go through and put placings on those classes and write reasons defending their placings.”

Though the members work individually at these competitions, they combine their scores in the end to decide a winner, making these team competitions.

Traveling the country for these competitions, as well as to visit various meat packing plants across the country, is a highlight for some members.

“It’s a really really fun thing to be a part of," animal science senior Jordan Schrock said. "It’s a lot of work, it’s a lot of traveling, but it’s definitely worth it in the end."

In addition to learning the process of judging meat quality, team members obtain skills they can apply in other areas of their life as well.

This makes joining the team a desirable choice for students of varying majors, even if they don’t plan on working in the meat industry in the future.

“I think, for the most part, what I’m looking to gain from meat judging is to get the team mentality, get used to working under pressure, being able to make clear decisions and defending those under pressure,” animal science junior Jennifer Spaans said.

Gaining experience working as a team has been a highlight for many members.

A new team is put together at the beginning of the spring semester and extends into the fall semester of the following academic year. This time frame gives team members ample time to learn how to work well together.

“There are five of us on the team and our coach makes sure that we make sure we know we’re a team,” Spaans said.

As the coach, and a previous member of the team, Bronkema sees the value this team has in preparing students for work in this field.

“When I was a student it did open that extra area up to me because I was from the livestock industry and it gave me insight into what this whole new industry, well not new, but new to me industry ... was about,” Bronkema said. “I’ve pretty much stayed involved because I see the benefit of it for other students as well, and I just want to make sure this program continues to exist in the Department of Animal Science and in the college.”

Schrock credits her success at obtaining a job at Boar’s Head this summer to the team.

“They were happy they were getting somebody that actually knew what they were talking about as far as the raw materials and what to look for in a good cut of meat and what would make the best product,” Schrock said.

The team’s next competition will take place at the beginning of April.

Share and discuss “MSU's Meat Judging Team competes across the nation” on social media.