MSU falls to Eastern Michigan 4-2, falls to 19-5 on the season

After a weekend of snowy weather in which two of their three games were cancelled against Oregon, the Spartans hosted the Eastern Michigan University in a Tuesday day game. The Spartans fell to a 19-5 overall record on the season by losing the Eagles by a final score of 4-2.

The Spartans drew first blood against the Eagles, scoring two runs in the bottom of the first to make score 2-0 after the first inning. Junior first baseman Jordan Zimmerman started the scoring threat with a single to right field with one out in the inning. The next batter, junior second baseman Dan Durkin doubled to left field, scoring Zimmerman and making it 1-0. Durkin would advance to third on a sacrifice bunt from sophomore DH Brandon Hughes and scored on a passed ball.

The next score would come in the third inning, and Eastern would make it a 2-1 game thanks to a home run by senior catcher Tony Dileo off of junior righty Walter Borkovich.

The Spartans pitched by committee on Tuesday afternoon, with sophomore right-hander Ethan Landon starting the game for MSU. Landon lasted 1.0 inning and only one walk while striking out one Eagle. Borkovich, sophomores Keegan Baar, Jake Lowery, Dakota Mekkes and junior Joe Mockbee all pitched for the Spartans in the contest.

Eastern would threaten to score in the fifth inning, loading the bases with a hit batter and back-to-back walks given up by Baar, but Lowery would strand the runner.  In the top half of the sixth, EMU would tie the game at 2 runs a piece after Lowery would give up a home run to junior DH Jeremy Stidham.

The Eagles would again score in the seventh inning, junior first baseman John Montgomery led the inning off with a single to right field and advanced to second on a stolen base.  Montgomery would score making it 3-2 in Eastern's favor on a double by Dileo.  With runners at second and third and only one out, Marquise Gill popped out to Zimmerman who gunned out Dileo at third to end the inning and get the Spartans out of the jam.

In the eighth inning Eastern would double MSU's score and take a 4-2 lead and score for the third consecutive inning.  Mitch McGeein started things off with a walk and he would score off of a double hit by junior left fielder Mike Mioduszewski.  In the bottom half of the eighth, the Spartans would leave the bases loaded and fail to score.

The Spartans will get back into action on Wednesday when they take on the Lansing Lugnuts in the annual Crosstown Showdown exhibition game at Cooley Law School Stadium in downtown Lansing. The Lugnuts are the class-A Minor League Baseball affiliate for the Toronto Blue Jays. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU falls to Eastern Michigan 4-2, falls to 19-5 on the season” on social media.