Improving Michigan unemployment rate inspires hope with students

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder addresses the audience on Jan. 19, 2016 during the State of the State Address at the Capitol in Lansing, Michigan.
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder addresses the audience on Jan. 19, 2016 during the State of the State Address at the Capitol in Lansing, Michigan. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

Based on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the first time Michigan’s unemployment rate has been below the national average since 2000.

A recent press release by Gov. Rick Snyder boasted the addition of approximately 400,000 private sector jobs to accompany the decline in unemployment.

Additionally, this came just before Snyder announced the creation of a commission that will oversee Michigan’s public school system and “better prepare students for a global economy.”

“All students deserve a 21st century education to prepare them for success in today’s economy,” Snyder said in a press release. “This commission will focus on long-term improvements that can enhance student achievement and prepare our students for in-demand careers in our state and around the world.”

MSU associate economics professor Scott Imberman said Michigan’s falling unemployment should help college students, particularly those at MSU, when they enter the workforce.

Imberman also said the growth of jobs in Michigan is not a facade and is based on job growth as opposed to Michiganians leaving the workforce.

However, Imberman paid mention to the fact Michigan’s employment and the students entering the workforce depends on the employment relative to other nearby states.

“There could still be a net outflow if, for example, Ohio and Illinois employment is growing faster,” he said.

The education commission, on the other hand, “will not have any impact on employment in the short term,” he said.

The proposals initiated through the commission would take time to be implemented, he said, and the effects would not come into fruition until the “long term.”

“The bottom line is, any impacts from the commission will not be seen for many years,” Imberman said.

Unsurprisingly, MSU students are thrilled with the prospect of a rise in Michigan job creation.

Social relations and policy junior Emma Milek said the creation of Snyder’s education oversight commission has done well in creating STEM-related jobs. She described a “huge market” for engineers, occupational therapists as well as other professions that require specific training.

“Snyder is implementing more STEM programs in our elementary and secondary schools to keep jobs in Michigan and strengthen the economy,” Milek said.

Additionally, political theory and constitutional democracy sophomore Ron Owens III said the fall in unemployment will greatly help students entering the workforce. He added Michigan and its prominent cities are growing economically and should offer great opportunities for college graduates entering the workforce.

“Michigan will grow economically and will bring well-paying jobs in the very near future,” he said. “Being involved in that upbringing and securing a job when it happens can certainly set an exceptional career path for students.”

Share and discuss “Improving Michigan unemployment rate inspires hope with students” on social media.