Sunday, May 5, 2024

Student creates non-profit to help kids use imaginations

Processed with VSCOcam with hb2 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with hb2 preset

When he was in third grade, MSU neuroscience freshman Thomas Brown Jr. had a teacher who told her classroom to write a story using their imaginations.

Brown failed the assignment, like many of his peers. To broaden their imaginations, his third grade teacher created a new assignment where she had her students carry around notebooks all of the time.

“No matter what we were doing or where we were, we had to write down our ideas, or anything we had imagined or dreamed about,” Brown said. “This activity made all of the children in my class realize our dreams.”

Brown was so inspired by his teacher that he pushed the idea of giving children notebooks and having them write their ideas in them. Since then, the idea has evolved into a non-profit called Notebook. He is now the founder and CEO.

Notebook is a non-profit organization that focuses on teaching students and educators to use their imagination and study learning in a different way than the traditional educational manner.

According to the Notebook website, the non-profit’s mission is “to teach, inspire and change.”

A large part of Notebook’s campaign is to work in different communities, spanning both locally and internationally.

Notebook creative director and media and information freshman Shanice Pinson visited Belize and worked with middle schoolers and high schoolers in the community for one week as part of Notebook's international effort.

“I took 20 notebooks down to Belize, and I worked with many students in the classroom environment,” Pinson said. “I saw it as a great opportunity to spread the word about Notebook and our mission, and show these children what we do.”

Notebook is currently in the works to expand their campaign to other international communities, including Peru and Guatemala. At a more local level, Notebook is now working in Battle Creek, Mich.

Destined Design is a company that is a current partner with Notebook. Founded by Collette Portis, Destined Design helps small business and companies to brand themselves.

“I am extremely proud of the group that started the Notebook campaign,” Portis said. “I think it couldn’t have come from a better generation, because these college kids serve as a group of role models to these young children. It’s pretty awesome.”

Share and discuss “Student creates non-profit to help kids use imaginations ” on social media.