MSU men's basketball to face a hungry Rutgers team on the road Wednesday

Head coach Tom Izzo talks to senior guard Bryn Forbes during the second half of the game on Feb. 28, 2016 at the Breslin Center.  The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions 88-57.
Head coach Tom Izzo talks to senior guard Bryn Forbes during the second half of the game on Feb. 28, 2016 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions 88-57. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

The No. 2 MSU men's basketball team (24-5, 11-5 Big Ten) will ride its four-game winning streak into a Wednesday night matchup on the road with the lowly Rutgers Scarlet Knights (6-23, 0-16).

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. and will be televised on Big Ten Network.

Coming into this game, the Spartans are playing like one of the hottest teams in the country. And because of this, MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo is doing the best he can to keep his team grounded; telling them to be wary of this Rutgers squad, a team which has yet to win a conference game.

"I think they (Rutgers) are going to be hungry for a victory," Izzo said. "That would make their season."

MSU defeated Rutgers, 96-62 in a previous matchup this season on Jan. 31. in Breslin Center. Izzo's message of keeping a level head is getting through to his players, though, as Rutgers was a team which knocked of a then No. 4 Wisconsin team at home a year ago. At the time, Wisconsin was rolling along as one of the best team's in the nation, much like MSU is now.

"They're another Big Ten team," MSU senior forward Matt Costello said. "The Big Ten is the best league in the nation, so we've got to be ready. They've played against some of the best competition. ... They know how to play against good teams."

Rutgers freshman guard Corey Sanders -- the Scarlet Knights' best player -- should return from suspension for Wednesday's game. Sanders was suspended for two weeks on Feb. 15 for a violation of team rules, and missed the last four games as a result. 

Sanders leads Rutgers in scoring at 16.2 points per game, assists at 4.1 per game and steals at 1.7 per game. Last time out against the Spartans, Sanders notched 17 points and five assists. He'll likely be much of the focus of MSU's defensive principles.

"He's a pretty shifty guard," said MSU junior guard Eron Harris, who will be tasked with defending Sanders. "He has a lot of energy. He's going to take a lot of shots. He's going to be aggressive but I have to take some of the buckets. Sometimes he'll hit tough shots but we've got to contain him."

And in the end, the fear of giving Rutgers its first Big Ten victory of the season is not what's driving MSU in Wednesday night's contest. It's the focus they have on the rest of the season.

"Our motivation is to win the game," Costello said. "We're trying to keep our self in the hunt and trying to get a No. 1 seed so we've got to take care of business."

Share and discuss “MSU men's basketball to face a hungry Rutgers team on the road Wednesday” on social media.