Halftime: No. 2 MSU leads Ohio State 33-26

Senior guard Denzel Valentine dribbles the ball during the second half of the game against Wisconsin on Feb.18, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 69-54.
Senior guard Denzel Valentine dribbles the ball during the second half of the game against Wisconsin on Feb.18, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 69-54. —
Photo by Alice Kole | and Alice Kole The State News

No. 2 MSU leads Ohio State at halftime 33-26. MSU was led in the first half by senior guard Denzel Valentine with 14 points and freshman forward Deyonta Davis who finished the half with eight points and three rebounds. 

After falling behind 4-2 early, MSU used a 9-1 run, sparked by its defense to take an 11-5 lead heading into the first timeout of the game. During the run, MSU got a block by Davis and two steals, one of which led to an alley-oop from senior guard Bryn Forbes to Valentine who then threw it back to Davis for a fast-break dunk. 

From there, MSU continued to add to its lead thanks to a pair of 3-pointers by Valentine as MSU took a 10-point lead with Ohio State struggling to beat the stingy Spartan defense. MSU finished the first half having forced six turnovers as MSU's defense held Ohio State to just 41 percent shooting, including 0-of-4 from behind the 3-point line. 

However, Ohio State would battle back and cut the MSU lead to just six at 25-19, led by junior forward Marc Loving who ended the first half with five points and freshman guard JaQuan Lyle who ended the first half with seven points. 

MSU finished the half shooting 35 percent from the floor including 29 percent from behind the 3-point line. MSU out-rebounded Ohio State 21-19 in the first half, grabbing seven offensive rebounds. 

Share and discuss “Halftime: No. 2 MSU leads Ohio State 33-26 ” on social media.