Second Detroit resident sentenced Wednesday in 2015 assault of MSU student in Spartan Village

Detroit resident Madison Reed was sentenced Wednesday to two years in prison and one year of probation for her role in the violent assault of Ryah Kelly in a Spartan Village parking lot last year.

Reed was granted Holmes Youthful Trainee Act or HYTA status by Judge Rosemarie Aquilina of the Ingham County Circuit Court, which allows young people convicted of certain crimes a chance to have no criminal record if they complete a special probation.

Reed will also be placed in a lower security prison with other HYTA inmates.

Prosecuting attorney Kim Hesse said Reed was responsible for luring Kelly out of her apartment by calling her on the night of the attack, while Reed's attorney argued her client did what she could to stop another co-defendant from using a baseball bat against Kelly.

"Madison was the one who stopped them from hurting her more," defense attorney Carla Marable said.

Judge Aquilina took this fact into consideration while making her decision on sentencing.

“You really started the ball rolling,” she said. “You called Kelly and everything wrong you did stemmed from there.”

Reed said she was remorseful for her actions that night and told Judge Aquilina she tried to break up the fighting.

Judge Aquilina ultimately told Reed the same thing she told her co-defendants in the case.

“I need to make sure you learn from this so that it doesn’t happen again,” she said.

Reed will also be required to pay her share of the $7,867 restitution to the victim. She is credited with already serving 153 days in jail.  

Paris Strickland was given a similar sentence earlier on Wednesday

Co-defendants Brittani Barber-Gribble and Tierra Hubbard are scheduled for sentencing hearings in April. 

Share and discuss “Second Detroit resident sentenced Wednesday in 2015 assault of MSU student in Spartan Village” on social media.