Rally House, nationwide sports merchandise store, to open up Friday

Rally House, a chain of sports apparel, merchandise, and game day accessory stores, is opening up Friday at 115 Grand River Ave. where American Apparel used to be.

“We are thrilled to have a presence in East Lansing,” Rally House CEO Aaron Liebert said in a press release Monday. “Michigan State fans are passionate about their Spartans and so are we. Rally House wants to help them show their colors with a unique and exclusive in-store and digital experience.”

But Rally House will be more than just Spartan centric apparel found in the apparel shops that dot Grand River Avenue. Based on its business model, Rally House, serves to feed the appetite of Spartan fans other local rooting interests by selling gear of the professional teams in the Michigan.

Red Wings, Lions and Tigers apparel will also be available but Pistons fans will have to find somewhere else to don the Pistons logo as Pistons gear will not be sold.

It won’t be the first time Rally House has done this in a collegetown as locations at University of Kansas and University of Missouri among others, offer local pro team apparel. Something Hillix hopes will help bring business in because pro-team apparel is usually lacking in college towns.

Rally House also bases its model on being unique by offering multiple varieties of items to separate your fandom from the masses.

“In college you don’t really want to be that guy that has the same shirt as a lot of other people,” Hillix said. “So that’s what’s really cool about Rally House is that you have a lot to choose from.”

The likes of '47 Brand, Retro Brand, Gameday Couture & Junk Food Clothing, will litter the racks at Rally House beside regular mainstays Nike and Adidas.

Furthermore Rally House partners with the local teams and celebrities to bring events to the store such as autograph sessions, ticket giveaways and photo sessions.

Soon to be 45 locations strong, Rally House began as a mail order company in Kansas called Kansas Sampler in 1989. Beginning in the 1990s the company expanded into brick-and-mortar ventures with five locations in the Kansas City area. In 2009 the privately owned company expanded into Texas and Missouri and has since been extending its reach into the midwest with stores in a total of eight states.

Rally House began opening stores in Michigan in July of 2013 and East Lansing will be the seventh location in Michigan to open alongside locations in Brighton, Lake Orion, Chesterfield, Shelby Township, Livonia and Grandville.

“Michigan’s been a really great market for us,” Hillix said. “Really the colleges there, people are really big on the wolverines and Spartans also even the smaller schools like Wayne State, and Grand Valley State and Ferris State. They do really well.”

Hillix also said that there wouldn’t be any grand opening event but would be giving out gift cards throughout the day. Hillix also mentioned Rally House would be having an “event on April 23rd in coordination with the MSU spring football game and alumni weekend.”

Plans for the event have yet to be finalized.  

Share and discuss “Rally House, nationwide sports merchandise store, to open up Friday” on social media.