Student brings nontraditional bow tie business to MSU

Business freshman William Murphy holds two bowties on March 18, 2016 at East McDonel Hall. Murphy has been running his bowtie business, Reign Bow Ties, for almost a year. Murphy's mother makes all of the bowties by hand with a cotton and linen blend fabric.
Business freshman William Murphy holds two bowties on March 18, 2016 at East McDonel Hall. Murphy has been running his bowtie business, Reign Bow Ties, for almost a year. Murphy's mother makes all of the bowties by hand with a cotton and linen blend fabric. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Promoting individuality and embracing one’s unique style, Reign Bow Ties is a company run by business freshman William Murphy and his mother Sherrie Murphy.

When William broke his foot playing basketball during the summer of 2014, he refused to spend his summer lying around.

After looking in his closet one day, he realized he wanted to develop his own sense of style. He saw he only owned one bow tie and wanted to have one to wear for every outfit.

He took a pile of clothing he was going to donate to the Salvation Army and instead cut them up and used them to make bow ties. William put them together with hot glue and paper clips and started wearing them around.

Family, friends and strangers complimented the bow ties, which drove him to make a more legitimate business.

Sherrie then taught her son how to sew and he began selling the improved bow ties at his school.

When this brought success, the mother and son duo decided to take the business to a new level.

In April 2015, they opened their first shop online on Etsy. Three weeks after their shop was created, they had their first order. Business has increased every month following.

“We’re untraditional because we use 100 percent cotton material with funky prints, uncommon prints and bold solids that really takes that bow tie to the next level,” Sherrie said.

The Murphys said they pride themselves on creating unique bow ties different from traditional designs seen from other companies.

“I really like the design and the fabric it’s made out of,” friend of William, customer of Reign Bow Ties and hospitality business sophomore Lamont Davis said. “It’s different and more appealing to younger generations.”

Now that William attends MSU and doesn’t live at home, his primary role with the business is social media and marketing. Sherrie is responsible for finances, legal details and sewing the bow ties.

Sherrie, having grown up dreaming of going into fashion design, has found this to be the perfect opportunity for her.

Not only is she able to do something she has always loved, but she gets to do it with her son, whom she calls an excellent partner.

“Working with him allows me to grow in this type of business, as a person, as an outgoing person, and for him he has that experience, a business experience now that he can take with him as he continues to grow with his career plan,” Sherrie Murphy said. “So I think we make a good team in that way.”

Above all, the Murphy’s main incentive is to sell their customers something that will promote individuality and inspire them to let their clothing choices reflect their personality.

“I see a lot of people wear what other people think is cool and they wear that because they want to look cool for their friends, but I really just want to look cool for myself,” William said.

Share and discuss “Student brings nontraditional bow tie business to MSU” on social media.