Injury update: Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn Jr. doubtful to play against U-M

Sophomore guard Lourawls Nairn Jr. falls to the ground after getting fouled during the game against Iowa on Jan. 14, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Hawks, 76-59 .
Sophomore guard Lourawls Nairn Jr. falls to the ground after getting fouled during the game against Iowa on Jan. 14, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Hawks, 76-59 . —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

When asked Tuesday about sophomore guard Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn Jr.'s chances of playing on Saturday, when No. 10 MSU will travel to Ann Arbor to take on rival U-M, MSU head coach Tom Izzo said his starting point-guard was "doubtful at best."

Nairn has missed MSU's last five games due to a case of plantar fasciitis in his right foot which he has been battling the entire season. Izzo decided to shut Nairn down before MSU's game at Wisconsin on Jan. 17, saying the injury had gotten too bad to keep letting Nairn play.

Izzo said Nairn shot the ball without much pain on MSU's off-day Monday, but that he did not expect Nairn to practice on Tuesday, and that he expected to have a better idea of Nairn's availability for the U-M game by Thursday.

"Unlike a sprained ankle or something, if it comes around, he could play," Izzo said.

Nairn was averaging 4.1 points and 4.5 assists per game before his injury and is averaging the fourth best assist-to-turnover ratio in the country at 4.76-to-1.

Share and discuss “Injury update: Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn Jr. doubtful to play against U-M” on social media.