New hockey trophy aims to become Paul Bunyan Trophy of hockey

MSU hockey head coach Tom Anastos, left, and Michigan hockey head coach Red Berenson pose for a portrait at the Detroit Design Center Studio. 
Photo Courtesy Erik Nordin
MSU hockey head coach Tom Anastos, left, and Michigan hockey head coach Red Berenson pose for a portrait at the Detroit Design Center Studio. Photo Courtesy Erik Nordin

The game is being called the Duel in the D and the new trophy is being called the Iron D Trophy.

The trophy is made by Detroit natives Erik and Israel Nordin of the Detroit Design Center and hopes to be the hockey version of the Paul Bunyan Trophy, Erik Nordin said.

The trophy is more than 25 inches tall and weighs more than 50 pounds. With a cup placed on top of the trophy, the letter “D” sits in the center surrounded by hockey sticks and the logo of each team. At the base of the trophy, the Detroit skyline is displayed along with a red, glass puck.

U-M head coach Red Berenson and MSU head coach Tom Anastos both had a helping hand in hammering in the steel letter that appears on the trophy.

“Detroit is going (through) such a great renaissance right now,” Erik Nordin said. “(The trophy) is a way to celebrate the game in the home of the Red Wings.”

Anastos said he hopes the trophy will bring more to the rivalry.

“I like it, I think it brings a little Detroit flavor and a unique flair,” Anastos said. “We are anxious to add that to the rivalry.”

With a meager six wins this season, the Iron D Trophy is just what MSU needs, senior captain Michael Ferrantino said.

“Any time you raise hardware, it really raises team spirits and can help turn your spirits around,” Ferrantino said. “Any time you get to play for a trophy, whether it is the Big Ten or The Iron D, it is pretty cool and fun.”

The Spartans are not new to Joe Louis Arena — every player has played there at least once in their lifetime, Anastos said.

“I don’t think that (playing at the Joe Louis Arena) will be a big factor,” Anastos said. “I’m sure we will go in with a very business-like attitude and be ready to play.”

Ferrantino said he is looking forward to the rivalry game.

“That is the fun part about rivalry games, you get to play with more emotion and there is more hatred for the other team and more intensity in the games,” Ferrantino said.

Share and discuss “New hockey trophy aims to become Paul Bunyan Trophy of hockey” on social media.