MSUPD tests new integrative technology system, 'Milo Range Theater'

Officer Dan Childs demonstrates the Milo Range Theatre, a 300 degree use of force simulators that uses real life scenarios to help train officers on Feb. 18, 2016 at the MSUPD shooting range on 5400 Jolly Road.  There are over 600 different scenarios for each single screen.
Officer Dan Childs demonstrates the Milo Range Theatre, a 300 degree use of force simulators that uses real life scenarios to help train officers on Feb. 18, 2016 at the MSUPD shooting range on 5400 Jolly Road. There are over 600 different scenarios for each single screen. —
Photo by Emily Elconin | and Emily Elconin The State News

The MSU Police Department has a new integrative technology system called the Milo Range Theater — one of only three in Michigan — which helps train and prepare officers for a variety of real-life scenarios. The Theatre is a 300 degree system that offers a 5-screen configuration using force simulators to create an immersive and realistic environment.

There are more than 600 different scenarios in the system for each single screen in the display. Within each of those screens there are two to three branches of alternative scenarios. Every scenario is is based on real life situations.

Officer Dan Childs participated in a simulation where he had to respond to a school shooter hostage situation and in another situation, the officer was called to an apartment where a concerned college student was afraid her roommate might do something harmful to herself after a dramatic break-up with her boyfriend.

The MSUPD said they want their officers to be prepared for any kind of situation and acknowledge that these are important situations officers have to be familiar with while working on a college campus. MSUPD Lt. Matt Merony expressed how there is no better training for the officers.

The Milo Range Theatre is unique because it can put officers in real life scenarios that they can’t train for in other environments. There are only three Milo Range Theaters throughout the state of Michigan, including this one located at the MSUPD training facility. All 83 of the MSUPD’s officers have gone through the simulation at least once.

Deputy Dave Trexler said this simulation provides the most excellent training for their officers. He said Michigan State has invested in the best possible training to protect the university.

Share and discuss “MSUPD tests new integrative technology system, 'Milo Range Theater'” on social media.